3 Enhancement Requests

Suggestions? Comments? Features you'd like to see?
peterbkk
Dive Computer: Suunto D9

3 Enhancement Requests

Post by peterbkk »

Hi Nick,

After using your great app for some time now, I think that I can tell you what my top 3 requests are:

1. When I click on the Site Name in the All Dives view, over 300 dive sites names appear. I can guess that they are sorted by country and can usually guess where to look for a site that I dived previously. But it is not easy and some site names appear multiple times. Would be helpful if the Dive Site pop-up list included the country name and the site name, concatenated with a comma (e.g. Thailand, Richelieu Rock).

2. After a dive trip, I import all the dives at one time, sometimes 20 or more dives from a long live-aboard trip. Many of the details of the dives are the same: boat, operator, dive master, etc. It'd be great to have some way of entering data once and copying across multiple dives.

3. Dive number automatic increment. For every import, I need to go into Gear, open up the used dive computer and change the "number dives from" field to the last-dive-plus-one so the dive number will increment properly. It'd be nice if, at the end of an import, MacDive automatically updated the "number dives from" field for the used computer to the next highest dive number. For 99% of the time, this would be the right behaviour and normally I only change dive computers once every few years.

Anyway, these are just nice-to-have enhancements for when you've got nothing better to do.

Regards
Peter
nick
Site Admin
Dive Computer: Shearwater Teric

Re: 3 Enhancement Requests

Post by nick »

peterbkk wrote: 1. When I click on the Site Name in the All Dives view, over 300 dive sites names appear. I can guess that they are sorted by country and can usually guess where to look for a site that I dived previously. But it is not easy and some site names appear multiple times. Would be helpful if the Dive Site pop-up list included the country name and the site name, concatenated with a comma (e.g. Thailand, Richelieu Rock).
I have been meaning to address this for some time. Unfortunately I just haven't come up with a good way to do it yet.
2. After a dive trip, I import all the dives at one time, sometimes 20 or more dives from a long live-aboard trip. Many of the details of the dives are the same: boat, operator, dive master, etc. It'd be great to have some way of entering data once and copying across multiple dives.
So select them all and edit them together. The Dive Inspector edits the selected dives, so select whatever you want, and open it (or select behind it), and you will see "multiple values" for things that are different, etc. You can also do this in sites, in the list view.
3. Dive number automatic increment. For every import, I need to go into Gear, open up the used dive computer and change the "number dives from" field to the last-dive-plus-one so the dive number will increment properly. It'd be nice if, at the end of an import, MacDive automatically updated the "number dives from" field for the used computer to the next highest dive number. For 99% of the time, this would be the right behaviour and normally I only change dive computers once every few years.
This is how it currently works. Once you have set this and renumbered your dives the first time, when you download they will automatically be given the next dive number. You don't ever need to touch this for the same device, unless you wanted to change the first number, and all subsequent numbers. Sounds like you're doing something wrong if you need to do this more than once.

What you've described is basically exactly how it works: once the import completes, the numbering is performed. The only way it is not is if you get a download error and the import is aborted, in which case the post-numbering won't occur. You would then see all zeros.

Maybe you are looking at the repetitive dive number column, and not the dive number column? That will be reset from 1 as it's the dive series, not the overall dive number.