Default Diver annoyance - Atom 2 (interface improvement)

Suggestions? Comments? Features you'd like to see?
zimbakin
Dive Computer: Atom 2

Default Diver annoyance - Atom 2 (interface improvement)

Post by zimbakin »

Using the Atom 2:
- dive data is imported to MD as Default Diver "Oceanic Atom 2"

Problem:
- changing every import manually, and each time, is hard work.

Solution:
1) a preference to make all imports by default as name eg. "Andrew"
and 2) ability to [Shift] select all dives in the main MD window and drag to a selected diver, thus changing all those dives to now belong to that diver.

...to that point, it would be great to have Diver profiles (photo icons) that can be dragged to dives or vice versa. This is what the mac is best at ie. Human interface design.

B)3) would it be possible at some point to include a control module to update the Atom 2's settings via the mac (as with PC Ocean Log)?

Foot note:
By the way, thank you for finally delivering an OSX dive log app compatible with the Atom 2!
This is a fantastic and dramatic improvement on Oceanic's Ocean Log. I am sure they could learn a few things from you.
I have been personally pursuing Oceanic for the past 3 years to deliver an OSX compatible app.
Every time they have led me along the garden path, having never delivered.
I was close to switching to Sunto, until this app came along. Well done.

Regards,

Andrew
lionel
Dive Computer: Mares Puck

Re: Default Diver annoyance - Atom 2 (interface improvement)

Post by lionel »

zimbakin wrote:Using the Atom 2:
- dive data is imported to MD as Default Diver "Oceanic Atom 2"

Problem:
- changing every import manually, and each time, is hard work.

Solution:
1) a preference to make all imports by default as name eg. "Andrew"
You can do that by filling in the 'Owner' field for your computer in the 'Gear' section. From then on, MacDive should use Andrew/
zimbakin wrote: and 2) ability to [Shift] select all dives in the main MD window and drag to a selected diver, thus changing all those dives to now belong to that diver.
Select all your dives in any list view, then Command+I, and change the 'Diver' field in the General tab. That should do it.
zimbakin wrote: ...to that point, it would be great to have Diver profiles (photo icons) that can be dragged to dives or vice versa. This is what the mac is best at ie. Human interface design.

B)3) would it be possible at some point to include a control module to update the Atom 2's settings via the mac (as with PC Ocean Log)?
I'll leave those to Nick.

{SNIP}

HTH,

Lionel
nick
Site Admin
Dive Computer: Shearwater Teric

Post by nick »

Thanks Lionel, you beat me to it.
zimbakin wrote: ...to that point, it would be great to have Diver profiles (photo icons) that can be dragged to dives or vice versa. This is what the mac is best at ie. Human interface design.
Interesting idea, I will muse on that.
For now, no, sorry. I'd rather avoid potentially damaging devices.
TnT
Dive Computer: many

Post by TnT »

zimbakin wrote: B)3) would it be possible at some point to include a control module to update the Atom 2's settings via the mac (as with PC Ocean Log)?
Technically, there is no reason why we can't support writing to the dive computer (write support is actually present, although it has never been tested, but in theory it should work).

However the problem with writing is that it's a potential dangerous operation. Since we have no official documentation, we are never 100% sure that our knowledge is correct. Imagine what could happen if we accidentally wrote somewhere where we are not supposed to write. We could damage the device, cause it to malfunction during diving, or even worse. We are not willing to take that risk on behalf of someone else.

Reading is much safer, because if we happen to interpret some data wrong, you'll only get some incorrect info in your logbook.