Petrel 2 Fails to Connect iOS/MacOS/iPadOS

Problems ? Get help here!
azchris11
Dive Computer: Teric

Petrel 2 Fails to Connect iOS/MacOS/iPadOS

Post by azchris11 »

I have a petrel 2 that refuses to connect to mac dive. Tried it on a M1 Macbook Pro, iPhone 11 Pro, and iPad Pro. Always the same "Failed to contact device". iPad and iPhone can connect to the Petrel using the shearwater app (desktop can't). Those devices can talk to other shearwater products just fine. Contacted shearwater and they said Bluetooth is fine since it can connect to their app, and that any connection issues with other apps are unsupported and not their concern.
nick
Site Admin
Dive Computer: Shearwater Teric

Re: Petrel 2 Fails to Connect iOS/MacOS/iPadOS

Post by nick »

Try rebooting.

Mine seems to work fine.

Thanks.
azchris11
Dive Computer: Teric

Post by azchris11 »

No luck, but we did figure out it's a petrel 1 (no compass).

When switching it over to Petrel on my Mac (looks like a bug on the iOS version since it's omitted there???)

get,

"MacDive encountered a problem downloading from your Shearwater Petrel:

Failed to read dive computer memory (Error Code: -7)"

I'm assuming it's something in how MacDive is handling the fact the log contains more dives than the Petrel has memory. The Petrel Dive Log has something like 337 dives, but even the shearwater cloud errors out near the end of the dive log.

However, that shouldn't matter and I should still be able to get the dives that are still being stored.

For what it's worth, the other petrel (confirmed to be a 2) also doesn't connect (using Petrel 2 profile, and after a reboot).

I tried exporting the log from Shearwater cloud in the shearwater XML format and importing into macdive but the dive is all screwed up. In shearwater cloud, it correctly shows as a 39 minute, 42 second dive. MacDive reports it as a 680 hour dive (or 40833 minutes). File in question is attached to this post
Attachments
3806974F#336_2020-09-20.xml.zip
(6.63 KiB) Downloaded 128 times
dknikos
Dive Computer: Petrel

Post by dknikos »

I have the exact same problem with my petrel 1. I am running Mac OS 12.5.1 on a MacBook Pro M1 pro. I never had an issue with downloading dives from my petrel. Now I receive the message: "Failed to read dive computer memory (Error Code: -7)".