Support for OSTC MK2

Suggestions? Comments? Features you'd like to see?
nakatomi
Dive Computer: OSTC Mk.2

Support for OSTC MK2

Post by nakatomi »

Hi,

I´m currently speculating about getting a new dive computer, the OSTC MK.2 by Heinrichs Weihkamp (http://www.heinrichsweikamp.net/#/en/ostc_mk2/).
However, I will not be buying anything that isn´t (or won´t be) supported by Macdive.
What are the chances to get this device supported? It is in the list of supported devices by Libdivecomputer, if that helps any. Of course I could deliver plenty of test data, once it is put into use :-)

Best Regards

Oliver
nick
Site Admin
Dive Computer: Shearwater Teric

Re: Support for OSTC MK2

Post by nick »

The original version is supported, but I don't think the v2 is yet.

If you decide to get one, and are happy to provide test data and run various tests, I'm sure we can look at getting support for it added.
TnT
Dive Computer: many

Post by TnT »

I contacted Heinrichs Weikamp, and they confirmed the OSTC Mk1 and Mk2 use the same transfer protocol and memory layout.
henrik
Dive Computer: Petrel + Predator

Post by henrik »

The OSTC MK2 looks pretty sweet!
nakatomi

Post by nakatomi »

Actually shortly after my posting I borrowed an OSTC MKII for a couple of dives.
Now this is off-topic so I won´t go into detail. But while it is a wonderful computer, I did find a couple of things I really don´t like about it. So until these are changed/fixed, I won´t be getting one (and can´t help deliver test data).
henrik

Post by henrik »

nakatomi: what was it that you didn't like?
nakatomi

Post by nakatomi »

Hi Henrik,

One reason is, there are in fact a couple of bugs in the current OSTC MK II firmware. They have been addressed in the OSTC forum but not so far not acknowledged by the developers. For example running a dive simulation through the PC will actually affect the tissue saturation in the computer, permanently. There are a couple more, none of them seem dramatic, but I don´t like the fact that the software of such a critical device is flawed.

Then there is part of the design I don´t agree with. For example there is no warning, change of color etc., when you´re missing deco stops. As a matter of fact, this can be tested nicely in the simulator. Basically you can dive down to 60 meters, saturate your tissue so you´ll be good for 60 minutes of deco - then head straight up to 2m. There will be no warning regarding the many deco stops that you will miss on your way to that depth. Once you´re at 1-2 meters, you will actually get a warning regarding the M-values. But by that time the diver will most likely suffer from the bends already.
Finally, the software is open-source, but half of it is written in assembler. So the fact that is is open-source, does not really help much, since most people (at least myself) have little to no clue regarding assembler.
henrik

Post by henrik »

Ouch, that seems pretty critical. Let's hope they fix those issues soon. I really like the idea of an open source dive computer.
nakatomi

Post by nakatomi »

Firmware version 1.8 for the MK2 was just released a week ago and most of the issues mentioned by me above are now fixed.

So, since it is now sort of 99% perfect, I decided to get one and it´s sitting right here, ready for testing :-)

Apparently libdivecomputer has no issues with it, I can get universal.exe to pull the logs and they look fine to me so far.
Is there maybe already a beta version available for testing with support for the OSTC?
nick
Site Admin
Dive Computer: Shearwater Teric

Post by nick »

Not yet, sorry. If you can email me the logs you created I will take a look at adding support for it.