UDDF Native Storage

Suggestions? Comments? Features you'd like to see?
patrickpreuss
Dive Computer: Suunto Vyper

UDDF Native Storage

Post by patrickpreuss »

Hallo Nick

it would be great wenn mac dive would store the data nativ as uddf files.
So it would be easy to extend the App. ;-)

Cheers Patrick
The worst day diving is better than the best day working.
nick
Site Admin
Dive Computer: Shearwater Teric

Re: UDDF Native Storage

Post by nick »

Well you can still read the sqlite file yourself - I would think that is down to personal preference (I would prefer to be able to execute queries on the data set). Though, this is not officially supported as the sqlite file is maintained by an apple framework and subject to change at their whim.

There are export options to get the data out, and that is an easier way. It lets me make changes without people reading those formats needing to worry about things appearing or disappearing.

I will add UDDF export at some point, just working on something a little more pressing at the moment (which I think everyone will like).
patrickpreuss
Dive Computer: Suunto Vyper

Post by patrickpreuss »

Hi Nick

i was thinking about iCal and Apple Stores the Data inside different files and add database files where needed.
The idea is inspiered by the request for integrating Time Machine Support.
So my idea was it would be more ease to use time machine inside if MacDive.

Cheers Patrick
The worst day diving is better than the best day working.
nick
Site Admin
Dive Computer: Shearwater Teric

Post by nick »

I haven't looked, but if it's anything like iTunes, those files are generated after the fact simply as a way to read them. IE, if you make changes, they will not be applied, and will be overwritten later. For now I don't see the benefit of creating and writing that file every time data is changed, when there are export options available that easily provide all of the data.

Well most of it - if something is missing I can add it to formats that will support it (like the XML and CSV exports).

I still don't get what this has to do with time machine. Time Machine backs up the files you tell it to back up, one of those files (by default) is the macdive database, inside Application Support.