Crash - data lost

Problems ? Get help here!
hellsbells
Dive Computer: D4

Crash - data lost

Post by hellsbells »

I've spent all evening inputting pre-computer dives and just as I've finished, Macdive crashed. When I opened up the application again, none of the dives I've entered are there anymore. I'm miffed to say the least.

Any where these might have been saved in a temp file somewhere perhaps? Or am I going to have to spend hours inputting again.... :|
nick
Site Admin
Dive Computer: Shearwater Teric

Re: Crash - data lost

Post by nick »

Unfortunately no. Autosaves only happen at certain points (after imports primarily, and in certain other cases).

Can you send me the crash report? That's more useful in terms of ensuring it doesn't happen again.
hellsbells
Dive Computer: D4

Post by hellsbells »

I didn't get a crash report, as it just froze for ages, and I forced it to quit. If I'd known I'd lose my data I might have left it a wee while before I quit it!

It froze when I was changing the buddy details on a group of dives. I'd selected about 20 dives, right-clicked and selected Edit Dives, then entered a buddy name in the window, then pressed enter. Then it froze - for a good long while, more than I would expect.

Hope that helps.
kathgrr
Dive Computer: SW PerdixAI,CrestCR4

Post by kathgrr »

The exact same thing just happened to me, I had to force quit it since I had the perpetuating circle of death going on...

The problem occurred when I attempted to access one of the older dives that were entered when I had an earlier version of macdive. I don't know if that might have been the cause of the problem?

Anyway, back to re-entering the last 20 dives.... and 20 new sites... and all that stuff....
nick
Site Admin

Post by nick »

I've been trying to replicate this, but haven't had any luck yet. If anyone is able to reproduce this somehow, the steps would be invaluable. I believe the same issue exists with Tags, which work in a similar way to buddies.

At any rate, I apologise for the inconvenience.
ericvrp
Dive Computer: Suunto D4

Post by ericvrp »

Perhaps autosave should happen at regular intervals to or at least quite often when users manually enter data? Just to be sure...

- Eric
kathgrr

Post by kathgrr »

That's sort of my work around now. I save almost every 2 minutes (some would say obsessively) since the thing just keeps crashing on me! I can't figure out why!!!

Is there somewhere on my machine I can find a crash log for the program even if I have to force quit the thing every time? [I'm on 10.6 so smart crash reporter no longer works]
nick
Site Admin

Post by nick »

~/Library/Application Support/CrashReporter

Email me anything in there from MacDive. If you can replicate this problem, then please also send me your MacDive.sqlite file with exact steps on how you cause it, and I can investigate.
kathgrr

Post by kathgrr »

i would love to...except my entire computer just died quite spectacularly; it won't even turn on with making this god-awful at me. I had to take it to apple today. If they don't wipe my hard drive when I get it back, I'll definitely email you everything you requested. Than..k for trying anyway =)
nick
Site Admin

Post by nick »

Oh man, that's no good :(

Good luck getting it sorted out!