Printing

Suggestions? Comments? Features you'd like to see?
ComSubVie
Dive Computer: Mares Puck

Printing

Post by ComSubVie »

Is there any possibility to change the printing output and details?

I'd like to print a overview list of my dives - just the location (name + gps), the dive profile, the buddies, time and date, and maybe some notes. And this in a format which fits common logbooks - so say one A5 page which holds about 4-8 dives?
azchipka
Dive Computer: Geo V2 / Shearwater

Re: Printing

Post by azchipka »

+1
nick
Site Admin
Dive Computer: Shearwater Teric

Post by nick »

I probably won't add a specific printing feature for this, but I will definitely add CSV export back, and I may make it a little more flexible so you can include or exclude fields (an advanced mode, compared to last time).

That way you can get the data you need and throw it into something to format for output. Is that reasonable?
ComSubVie
Dive Computer: Mares Puck

Post by ComSubVie »

Hm, I think it's easier to use a XML file than an CSV file to generate good prints - it should be possible to include the dive profile in the XML, and I think it's not possible to include it in the CSV.

However, I'd love to see some more printing formats available, or the best would be and editor where you can drop the different fields. But I think both would be quite some work, so that I will try to find some solution to print from an XML or CSV file - and maybe publish my solution here.
nick
Site Admin
Dive Computer: Shearwater Teric

Post by nick »

You can already export XML, so you can export that and do what you like with it.

I just don't want to spend lots of time on a printing option that one or two people will use - I'd rather focus on features that more people will use. It should be easy enough to take basic CSV (or the xml) and convert it to a format you like for printing.
kevincasey
Dive Computer: Atomic Cobalt

Post by kevincasey »

I don't know if this belongs in its own thread. If so, I apologize. I don't know what the right answer is, but it might be worth taking a fresh look at the page that is printed.

One obvious thing that's missing is the FO2 when diving EANx. It indicates that the gas model was not air, but doesn't give any additional information such as CNS toxicity or OTUs.

If you dive in cold water, there's never enough room in the "Gear" box to list everything that you're wearing, yet the dive computer is listed both there and in the "Dive Statistics" box.

The "Dive Information" box is chronically -- but not always -- empty (no operator, dive master, boat or captain because my friends and I all just dive from shore).

Finally, it's not uncommon for my notes to run over length. It seems like the more I dive, the more I write about each dive; from details about how I've got my gear arranged, to details about what I've seen, and even about the pre- and post-dive interactions with my dive buddies. Not everybody would agree, but I'd like my printout to include even the name of the rum we passed around after we found the wreck of the...

Perhaps you're right, there's no way to make it everything to everybody.
Kevin Casey
Regulator Technician
Aqua Diving Academy
Portland, Maine, USA