Upgrading license to family/multiuser

General MacDive discussion, updates, etc.
ssimps
Dive Computer: Gekko

Upgrading license to family/multiuser

Post by ssimps »

Hi Nick,
I have a single user license currently, am I able to upgrade this to multiuser/family?
I can't see anywhere on the website advising on how to do this - which probably means I have missed it!

Thanks
Stuart
nick
Site Admin
Dive Computer: Shearwater Teric

Re: Upgrading license to family/multiuser

Post by nick »

You didn't miss it, there's no specific info about it - drop me an email and I can sort you out.
sonofzell
Dive Computer: Mares Nemo Wide 2

Post by sonofzell »

Greeting Nick!

I know this is an aged thread, but since it seems relevant to my question I thought it best to ask here rather than start anew. I've been using a single MacDive license on MacOS/iOS for myself and my two daughters for several years. My oldest is leaving for college in a few weeks (to S. Florida, where I'm sure she'll be diving often!) and has just got a new MacBook of her own.

I know she is able to contribute to our shared log using the iOS app, but as an aspiring marine biologist that now has a mac of her own, I expect she'll want the desktop version as well for more detailed profiles and DC downloads (the latter we currently do on my MacBook that will soon be 1000 miles away from her). Although she has her own Apple ID, she is able to share my purchased (app store) apps via family sharing.

Will it be possible to continue maintaining our "family" consolidated log with two separate macs/users? I'd certainly have no issue with purchasing an upgraded or additional license to do so, as long as it's something that could be achieved without any major hassle or complications. Any advice you may have on possibility and/or setup would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance for any guidance you can offer!
nick
Site Admin
Dive Computer: Shearwater Teric

Post by nick »

sonofzell wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 1:37 am I've been using a single MacDive license on MacOS/iOS for myself and
The single-user license is for one user. The multi-user license is for multiple users.

Although she has her own Apple ID, she is able to share my purchased (app store) apps via family sharing.
Indeed, family sharing is enabled for the iOS app so that you can do this.
Will it be possible to continue maintaining our "family" consolidated log with two separate macs/users?
As above, the single-user license is only for one user, it is not intended to be used by multiple people. You can upgrade the license. There are ways to achieve what you want to do, although it can be complicated with multiple users/accounts.

Thanks.
jasonmust

Post by jasonmust »

nick wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 5:02 am
sonofzell wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 1:37 am I've been using a single MacDive license on MacOS/iOS for myself and
The single-user license is for one user. The multi-user license is for multiple users.

Although she has her own Apple ID, she is able to share my purchased (app store) apps via family sharing.
Indeed, family sharing is enabled for the iOS app so that you can do this.
Will it be possible to continue maintaining our "family" consolidated log with two separate macs/users?
As above, the single-user license is only for one user, it is not intended to be used by multiple people. You can upgrade the license. There are ways to achieve what you want to do, although it can be complicated with multiple users/accounts.

Thanks.
Since my question is about license as well, I would like to reply to this thread for easier reference.

I recently purchased a multiple device license and installed on the main laptop at home. I would like to know if I install the license to another laptop at my office, I just need to delete the license from the HDD later to release the quota when I leave the company or upgrade to another laptop? Or is there any procedures to unlink the device?

Thanks.