Lost photos

Problems ? Get help here!
davidfield
Dive Computer: Vyper & Wisdom

Lost photos

Post by davidfield »

Just updated MacDive on my iMac and seem to have lost the link to all my dive photos, They just appear as a blank icon in the view box.
When synced to iPhone they also appear blank.
Equipment and certification photos are still there.
"They tell me you'll lose your mind when you get older. What they don't say is that you won't miss it very much." ~ Malcolm Cowley
nick
Site Admin
Dive Computer: Shearwater Teric

Re: Lost photos

Post by nick »

Hi there,

iPhone won't sync photos by default, you need to enable that option (under Cloud Settings). It will sync the gear, certifications etc by default, just not actual photos.

Updating shouldn't have removed any photos, however. The update doesn't touch them in any way. Are the files still there (if you look in your MacDive data folder) ? Should be exactly as it was before the update - only the main data file is changed.
davidfield

Post by davidfield »

Thanks,
Where do I find the macdive data folder?

Attached is what the log looks like. I have about 190 photos attached to various dives
DAvid
Attachments
Display2.png
Display1.png
"They tell me you'll lose your mind when you get older. What they don't say is that you won't miss it very much." ~ Malcolm Cowley
Ken
Dive Computer: Shearwater Perdix AI

Post by Ken »

You can get to the data folder from MacDive's preferences.
Screen Shot 2015-12-10 at 13.24.36 .png
davidfield

Post by davidfield »

Thanks
All the dive photo folders are empty
Also they are dated the date I upgraded
Attachments
Display3.png
nick
Site Admin

Post by nick »

Odd. I can't give you an immediate explanation for this - the upgrade process does not remove any images, or touch them in any way.

Are they in the Trash, or do you have Time Machine? That's my first thought on quickly recovering them. Or, did you sync to Dropbox and they're in the Cloud?
davidfield

Post by davidfield »

I did sync to drop box on updating but these folders are empty too. I'll have a look on time machine. Where exactly is the data folder.

I still have the photos on iphoto(photos) but a pain to put back into dive log

Mystery Deepens - excuse the pun. Found the time machine backup folder. The dive images folder is dated 10 May 2011 but all the folders within it are empty as well.
Last edited by davidfield on Fri Dec 11, 2015 4:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
nick
Site Admin

Post by nick »

They're in the same place as your MacDive folder on your Mac, which is:

/Users/your username/Library/Application Support/MacDive/

The trick is that "Library" is hidden by default on recent versions of OS X, even in Time Machine if I recall correctly. So generally the easiest thing to do is use "Go To Folder" from the menu, and paste in: ~/Library/Application Support/MacDive/, which will take you right there.

Let me know if that doesn't make sense and I'll dig up some more detailed instructions.
davidfield

Post by davidfield »

Mystery Deepens - excuse the pun. Found the time machine backup folder. The dive images folder is dated 10 May 2011 but all the folders within it are empty as well.
My backup only goes back to when I upgraded to el capitan

Just a thought, does it have anything to do with upgrading from iPhoto to Photos? I haven't looked at the photos in the log for some time as I haven't been diving recently due to a bike accident.
Mind you all the certificate and gear photos are still there
nick
Site Admin

Post by nick »

Possibly?

So, in the old days, MacDive would let you reference images from their existing location. This was controlled by a user preference that you could set to either reference or always copy. That means when you dragged from iPhoto for example, it didn't copy the file - it just stored the path to the image in iPhoto. That was great at the time because it meant no duplication.

However, a while back, in anticipation of providing a more robust solution for syncing to iPhone, we changed this. Now all photos are stored internally in MacDive's data folder. At that point, the upgrade made copies of any referenced images it found from iPhoto (or Aperture, which I use). This happened in MacDive 2.3.1, released March 14, 2014.

Here's a guess at what has happened:

You were on a version of MacDive prior to 2.3.1, and your setting was to reference images, rather than copy them. You migrated from iPhoto to Photos. You then updated MacDive to a version on or after 2.3.1. This would mean that during the upgrade it probably didn't find the photos, however it doesn't error, it would just silently skip the image(s) - presuming that they were old/invalid/missing/whatever.

This would explain why the images folder was updated yesterday, if that was the first time you'd updated in a while. It would have been fixing things up as intended, and just been unable to find the actual images to copy in to the various folders. It would also explain why your Time Machine has no data there, as you had always referenced them before so they weren't stored there.

A bit of a wild guess, but it fits with everything you've mentioned so far.

If this is the case then the downside is that short of restoring iPhoto, I don't really have an easy solution. Although, are these underwater photos that you've taken yourself? MacDive does have an "auto add" feature that adds photos to dives based on matching the times. I use this all the time myself, all my photos get added automatically.

You could potentially use that function, provided the times in the photos match up. There is some time compensation, for example if you forgot to change the time on your camera (which I always do), but it can only be set to one value at a time. So it may still involve a little bit of messing around.

One final option, which I would have to investigate a little, is that it's possible we could try and hack something. Since MacDive still has a record of the images, along with their filename, it's possible that we could find those images in the Photos folder and write a little tool that would copy them to the correct place in MacDive.

How many Photos do you actually have in MacDive?