iCloud Support for MacDive

Suggestions? Comments? Features you'd like to see?
OHTechDiver
Dive Computer: Vytec

iCloud Support for MacDive

Post by OHTechDiver »

I take every opportunity I get to show off MacDive to my fellow mac users in the diving community. I've been asked several times if it supports iCloud. It sure would be nice to see iCloud support added to future releases of MacDive to provide live synching/backup of the dive database, not to mention the ability to access common data from both my laptop and desktop. I'm using other work arounds to achieve "similar" results, e.g. using DropBox, etc. with symbolic links to the Application Support folder. However, this would seem to a great new feature to add.

Keep up the great work! Awesome app at any price.
nick
Site Admin
Dive Computer: Shearwater Teric

Re: iCloud Support for MacDive

Post by nick »

I'm looking in to a solution - maybe via DropBox. I believe iCloud is MAS-only (though correct me if I'm wrong).
mikefaf
Dive Computer: Shearwater Perdix 2

Post by mikefaf »

I second that. Great software, very slick!, and works 10,000 times better than Suunto's own software on PC.

All it is lacking now is the ability to sync via dropbox for online backup and accessing the dives through another MAC.
pokryfka
Dive Computer: Suunto Vyper

Post by pokryfka »

I would love to see such functionality as well.

This would be particularly useful if the same iCloud storage was shared with iOS Dive Log (or any other app supporting UDFC) so that the sync could be done that way.

Did not check iCloud documentation to check what are the restrictions though and most certainly this will not work at all as long MacDive is not delivered by AppStore (BTW why not?).

Cheers
Michal
mberkhey
Dive Computer: suunto cobra

Post by mberkhey »

When can we expect a dropbox integration? When upgrading my device i lost all my dive records! Everything is in the cloud and i start to rely on that fact. When i change my Mac, Iphone or whatever device i just want to install my apps, type in my username and pw and will have all my date back.

Pls hurry up with this feature as i'm looking around for the 1st package that will support this on a Mac... i know that Diving log 5 does it for PC but i don't want to use a VM ware thing on my mac just fr this .

Thx for the reply
larsb
Dive Computer: Suunto Vyper Air

Post by larsb »

+1 for this request.
nick
Site Admin

Post by nick »

Cloud sync should be available next month, all going to plan.
europaeer
Dive Computer: Shearwater

Post by europaeer »

in the meantime Dropox syncing works quite well with a hint mentioned here:
http://www.mac-dive.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=964
mikefaf
Dive Computer: Shearwater Perdix 2

Post by mikefaf »

Hi, Ive been using dropbox for a few years now and until yesterday was unaware that iCloud is finally supported :D However I would have thought that the files would be stored in iCloud Drive, like with Dropbox. I don't see them in there, where are they located? It all works fine for me (and probably faster syncing), but I would just like to be able to physically see them. Thanks
nick
Site Admin

Post by nick »

They are not stored there. You can’t see them.