Connecting to Sherwood Insight

Problems ? Get help here!
WPaJim
Dive Computer: PerdexAI/Teric

Connecting to Sherwood Insight

Post by WPaJim »

Just installed the drivers from the link on your site. When I try to download dives I get:

Failed connecting to dive computer on serial port '/dev/tty.usbserial-20030001' (Error Code: -5)

Following the manual on the drivers page I see the proper entries in /dev when the Insight is plugged in. However it does not show up as a USB device on the system profiler. This is the situation whether or not the Insight is in the connect to computer mode (External Access mode).

Any advice on how to make this work?

Best,
Jim
nick
Site Admin
Dive Computer: Shearwater Teric

Re: Connecting to Sherwood Insight

Post by nick »

Start with the Troubleshooting Downloads guide in help, which asks things like: Is the device in transfer mode? Does it have low battery?

Have you successfully downloaded this device in the windows sherwood software to verify it works?
WPaJim

Post by WPaJim »

Returned to the topic of getting dives from my daughter's Insight today. I think the real problem was I didn't read the fine print; her's is an older model with the gray buttons, not the newer model with metal buttons. I was able to get the dives using VM Fusion running Sherwood's software in WinXP. The exported CSV files seemed to import into her copy of MacDive without a problem. Not sure that way captures as many details as a more direct import but she's got her dive profiles at least now.

Best,
Jim
nick
Site Admin

Post by nick »

It should download fine. You won't see any real USB device as it isn't actually a USB device - you'll just see the cable. This is correct. Failed to connect is usually because either the device isn't in transfer mode, it has low battery, or the cable is plugged in upside down (depending on your model, some are hard to tell which way is correct, or some only fit one way of course).
WPaJim

Post by WPaJim »

Based on the experience I had using the Sherwood software, (actually on the exact same computer plugged into the same USB port - just using a virtual XP machine instead of Mac OSX within a half hour between attempts) it is none of those issues. In any case the dive computer is heading back to it's home now but perhaps I can get her to leave it in with her ride to the bus if you think it's worth having another go at it. Thanks for the response.

Jim
WPaJim

Post by WPaJim »

Just FYI the cable does show up on my 10.8.2 Mac although I don't think that even showed up on her 10.7.x Mac. I haven't tried scan for serial port so I'll have a go at that. Should I get the test application? Which one would that be?

Jim
nick
Site Admin

Post by nick »

There's no need unless there is a problem downloading the data. If it shows up, that means the USB driver is installed. Next, you just want to try downloading and ruling out any other possible problems.
WPaJim

Post by WPaJim »

The cable shows up OK in my device list (see attached) But MacDive throws out an Import Error: Failed connecting to dive computer on serial port '/dev/tty.usbserial-20030002' (Error Code: -7). The dive computer is plugged in and in download mode (flashing EA). No amount of jiggling changes the message. What is my next step?

Jim
Attachments
USB list.png
nick
Site Admin

Post by nick »

For one, that is the wrong serial port - perhaps just a typo though. You would need to ensure that is correct. Also, ensure you are running the latest version of MacDive and are not encountering and old issue that has since been fixed.

Then please follow the instructions for reporting download issues -

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=407

For the Insight, you want the veo250 test application. Email me with the results.