iCloud integration

Suggestions? Comments? Features you'd like to see?
maurello
Dive Computer: Suunto Cobra3

iCloud integration

Post by maurello »

When can we expect a iCloud integration? It would be great to sync the logbook data through iCloud to multiple devices, including iPad/iPhone
nick
Site Admin
Dive Computer: Shearwater Teric

Re: iCloud integration

Post by nick »

I'm working on built-in syncing. It's coming along nicely. No firm ETA, just "when it's done".
JamworkS
Dive Computer: Cressi Leonardo

Post by JamworkS »

I was going to request this too, because I'm syncing manually with Dropbox and it's a pain, when other software in windows syncs out of the box automatically with DropBox, Box, and others.
nick wrote:I'm working on built-in syncing. It's coming along nicely. No firm ETA, just "when it's done".
Let me know because I'm very interested in this feature.

Also, will I be able to sync with DiveLog for iOS through iCloud or will I have to continue doing it manually via WiFi?

Cheers!!
JamworkS

Post by JamworkS »

Also, will I be able to sync via iCloud (or others) at the same time in my iMac and my Macbook? It will be great rather than having to download from DropBox and copying the folder on top of it all the time in the MacBook.
nick
Site Admin

Post by nick »

It won't be iCloud. It is using Dropbox. Implementing it with iCloud prevents all existing users from getting a free update, as it would require an App Store version. I would rather not do that! However, the way it's built, I can actually support iCloud. So if I was to provide an App Store version you could enable that rather than Dropbox and it would work the same.

It won't cloud sync with Dive Log, as you can't sync via different developers with iCloud as far as I'm aware. We'll have to see what can be done there.

But yes, the sync is fully integrated. You can make different changes on multiple computers at the same time and all of the changes merge seamlessly to each device. All images are synced, etc. It's actually pretty awesome. There's no manual intervention required, you just make changes and they appear on your other computer.

Hopefully that is enough information for now. Things are still changing, it's a complex problem to solve, and requires a lot of work to get it "right". I'm working on it as fast as I can around a hectic day job, and I will get it in to peoples hands as soon as I can.

Thanks!
JamworkS

Post by JamworkS »

nick wrote:It won't be iCloud. It is using Dropbox. Implementing it with iCloud prevents all existing users from getting a free update, as it would require an App Store version. I would rather not do that! However, the way it's built, I can actually support iCloud. So if I was to provide an App Store version you could enable that rather than Dropbox and it would work the same.

It won't cloud sync with Dive Log, as you can't sync via different developers with iCloud as far as I'm aware. We'll have to see what can be done there.

But yes, the sync is fully integrated. You can make different changes on multiple computers at the same time and all of the changes merge seamlessly to each device. All images are synced, etc. It's actually pretty awesome. There's no manual intervention required, you just make changes and they appear on your other computer.

Hopefully that is enough information for now. Things are still changing, it's a complex problem to solve, and requires a lot of work to get it "right". I'm working on it as fast as I can around a hectic day job, and I will get it in to peoples hands as soon as I can.

Thanks!
Thank you very much Nick for all your answers. So far you've delivered everything you've promised so I'll just be patient.
pokryfka
Dive Computer: Suunto Vyper

Post by pokryfka »

nick wrote:It won't be iCloud. It is using Dropbox. Implementing it with iCloud prevents all existing users from getting a free update, as it would require an App Store version. I would rather not do that! However, the way it's built, I can actually support iCloud. So if I was to provide an App Store version you could enable that rather than Dropbox and it would work the same.

Thanks!
While limiting it to new users would not be fair, personally I'd be happy to buy it 2nd time on App Store if you decide to upload it there and if it supports iCloud. (Even if the not App Store version does sync using DropBox.) Just to let you know :-)

I did not check it in details but I think syncing with other applications shall be possible using iCloud Drive.
bubffm
Dive Computer: Suunto D4i

Post by bubffm »

There is absolutely no need to buy a second license. Apple has a standard procedure in place to "convert" licenses bought at an individual developer into an App license if that developer decides to offer his program on the App store in future. Done it a few times with other apps.

I would actually very much prefer this App to be available thru the App store and any future sync to work via iCloud rather than any third party solution like Dropbox.

bubffm
nick
Site Admin

Post by nick »

Thank you for your feedback.

MacDive Support
Ken
Dive Computer: Shearwater Perdix AI

Post by Ken »

bubffm, why would you prefer a MAS version over the current way? The MAS is really inflexible for developers, and sometimes limits functionality. 1Password has had this problem.