Installing current update fails

Problems ? Get help here!
europaeer
Dive Computer: Shearwater

Installing current update fails

Post by europaeer »

The update to 2.3.1 does not work (as the previous did neither) for my registered version

downloading via software update works well (12.4MB), then extracting update starts and suddenly the error occurs next to a MacDive logo:

Update Error!
An error occurred while extracting the archive. Please try again later.

After having cancelled the process and downloaded the full version instead (which is still 2.3.0), I tried the update again and the following message shows up next to a MacDive logo:

This update is locked with a password.
An input field is following.

The latter message only shows up once, when trying again the first error occurs consistently.

Thanks in advance for your support!
Attachments
Updating_MacDive.jpg
Password_und_Updating_MacDive_und_MacDive.jpg
Password_und_Updating_MacDive_und_MacDive.jpg (18.75 KiB) Viewed 6821 times
nick
Site Admin
Dive Computer: Shearwater Teric

Re: Installing current update fails

Post by nick »

I have to say, I've never seen this!

I would recommend deleting all copies of MacDive (just the application, not your data), and just downloading a fresh copy off the website.

I did forget to update the website with the new URL (thanks for the heads up!). I've done that now, and the direct link is: http://www.mac-dive.com/downloads/MacDive_2.3.1.dmg

Give that a shot and let me know how you get on.
europaeer

Post by europaeer »

Thanks nick!

I have tried all this and when launching the freshly installed application the following error appears:

File can not be saved.

I will try it again, deleting the software with CleanApp 4, and also to repair disk permissions.
I will keep you posted!

Thanks once again!
europaeer

Post by europaeer »

No I have completly deinstalled MacDive with CleanApp and all the data has also gone.

I had to install the current version freshly, to relocate the data from Time Machine and to establish the symbolic linking to the Dropbox again.

But I still don't know why the updates never work and why this weird password request appeared.

Now 3.2.1 works fine at the end.

Thanks!
nick
Site Admin

Post by nick »

Maybe the dropbox symlink is causing an issue, I'm not sure - but this is pretty odd. Glad you got it working, I'll have a poke around but as it's not something I've ever seen or had reported, it may be difficult to give you much of an answer.
honigferd
Dive Computer: D6, VyperAir, F10 V2

Post by honigferd »

Just FYI - I'm using the "DropBox symlink method" aswell and have been using it for a very long time and never had any problems updating.

Could it be Mac OS security/App sandbox related?
Twitter - Web
CMAS** scuba diver / CMAS*** free diver
nick
Site Admin

Post by nick »

Ah, good to hear.

Yeah, this is a pretty strange error. Some googling revealed a similar sounding issue to the password prompt in Sparkle (the updater mechanism that MacDive uses), though this should have been resolved in the version we use.

It's odd it is seemingly confined to one person, as there have been a decent number of updates to MacDive, all using the same mechanism, and no other reports of this. I guess if it keeps happening we can look in to it further - preferably next time you go to update, let me know first, so we can do some debugging.

If the fresh version is working fine, then at least you're able to log your dives and use the app!
europaeer

Post by europaeer »

Thanks for the support, it's working fine now.

The problem with the Dropbox linking only occurred after having done the complete deinstalling via ClearApp as the link also had been deleted. I don't think that this caused the original error.

Thanks again!