Shearwater Petrel

Suggestions? Comments? Features you'd like to see?
lonebrave
Dive Computer: Atomic Cobalt

Shearwater Petrel

Post by lonebrave »

Any chance the Shearwater Petrel will be supported? In the market for a new computer to take me into tech diving. The Predator has been on the list for a while, but with the recent announcement of the Petrel, I'm re-evaluating my list.
nick
Site Admin
Dive Computer: Shearwater Teric

Re: Shearwater Petrel

Post by nick »

Possibly - I'll drop Shearwater a line.
nick
Site Admin

Post by nick »

Alright, yeah, this should be straightforward to support.
Jean-Francois
Dive Computer: Perdix

Post by Jean-Francois »

lonebrave wrote:Any chance the Shearwater Petrel will be supported? In the market for a new computer to take me into tech diving. The Predator has been on the list for a while, but with the recent announcement of the Petrel, I'm re-evaluating my list.
If you are serious about Tech Diving, I would also recommend that you check the OSTC 2N. It's cheaper than the petrel, does the exact same thing, some customization possible, a huge and helpful community, constant improvement to the software. On the negative side the battery can only be change by the manufacturer but you got years of power before you have to send it back.

Just my 2 cents.
nick
Site Admin

Post by nick »

Support is available for the Petrel now. I'll be officially releasing it shortly, but if you would like a beta feel free to email me and I can send it through.
CFU
Dive Computer: Predator, Petrel

Post by CFU »

Jean-Francois wrote:
lonebrave wrote:Any chance the Shearwater Petrel will be supported? In the market for a new computer to take me into tech diving. The Predator has been on the list for a while, but with the recent announcement of the Petrel, I'm re-evaluating my list.
If you are serious about Tech Diving, I would also recommend that you check the OSTC 2N. It's cheaper than the petrel, does the exact same thing, some customization possible, a huge and helpful community, constant improvement to the software. On the negative side the battery can only be change by the manufacturer but you got years of power before you have to send it back.

Just my 2 cents.
But the Petrel supports more gases, it has the nicer Display, trust me the new LCDs are much nicer! With the Petrel you can use a huge variety of batterys from cheap alkali to expensive Saft's... AND... you can get VPM-B running, which for me is the best algorithm, to match V-Planner, you can't on the OSTC because of limited processor capabilities... And then the price difference isn't that much OSTC EUR 735, Petrel EUR 900