OSX 10.7 Lion & Sensus Ultra

Problems ? Get help here!
roger
Dive Computer: sensus ultra

Re: OSX 10.7 Lion & Sensus Ultra

Post by roger »

Hi, just checking in to see if there is any update.

I'm running 10.7.3
macbook pro, 3.06 GHz, 8GB ram. It's a couple years old.
macdive 2.1.3. (being able to sort by import time is a huge help, I end up with a lot of duplicate dives testing this)

serial driver is the one recommended by reef net, rev 1.4.0 from Prolific.

When I try to import, I get about the last 20 dives, then a -5 error. next try, I get maybe 10 dives. Then a few dives, then none, until I reboot. It's like a buffer is getting full, and somehow full of junk so it won't purge, and that's that.

Reefnet's ap works fine.

Watching the memory statistics on both apps with Activity Monitor (the more specific, detailed "inspect process" window), macdive has a lot of variation in "shared memory size" numbers during a download. Sometimes it even says "16 EB". Could that be Exabytes? whoa.

Reefnet's memory numbers seem stable.
nick
Site Admin
Dive Computer: Shearwater Teric

Post by nick »

Well, first off, you're comparing apples and oranges. Reefnet's app isn't built like a standard Mac app, so the memory usage will appear vastly different in Activity Monitor. There are different shared frameworks that are loaded as part of the footprint, for example. This memory will not necessarily appear to reduce, either, as it is more an indication of total allocations than current usage. Activity Monitor isn't a performance tool. The memory footprint is very low for importing, but you need a proper profiling tool to get an accurate picture of what is being allocated/released.

But the end result is still the same - there is a problem with the reefnet importer. I've been talking to Kris, and we've been looking in to it but so far had no luck. I've found on my iMac that after a few goes, it will import all the dives - it still fails at some point though, more often than not. Regularly downloading is the most reliable way I've found so far.

Apologies for the inconvenience - I would very much like to get this sorted, it is just proving difficult to track down the issue.
roger
Dive Computer: sensus ultra

Post by roger »

thanks, I was hoping I found something helpful with some kind of import buffer, which would probably be in the OS or serial driver, anyway.
mick232
Dive Computer: Reefnet Sensus Ultra

Post by mick232 »

nick wrote: But the end result is still the same - there is a problem with the reefnet importer. I've been talking to Kris, and we've been looking in to it but so far had no luck. I've found on my iMac that after a few goes, it will import all the dives - it still fails at some point though, more often than not. Regularly downloading is the most reliable way I've found so far.

Apologies for the inconvenience - I would very much like to get this sorted, it is just proving difficult to track down the issue.
Or, as I have suggested several times but been ignored each time: build an import function into MacDive that can import the .csv files that reefnets app exports.

That way we can import into their app, export the files and import into MacDive. Not perfect but a reasonable work around until the problem is resolved.

Cheers
Michael.
nick
Site Admin
Dive Computer: Shearwater Teric

Post by nick »

I will take a look at doing this. The file contains very little information, but it would be worthwhile in the interim.