Split a dive

Problems ? Get help here!
Boris
Dive Computer: HW OSTC 2C

Split a dive

Post by Boris »

Hi,

my dive computer didn't recognize the (very short) break/surface interval between two dives and now I want to spilt this one dive into two dives. I searched the forum but couldn't find a hint. I guess this was discussed in the past. How can I split the dive? Thanks.

Greets from Yucatan,
Boris
nick
Site Admin
Dive Computer: Shearwater Teric

Re: Split a dive

Post by nick »

There is currently no way to split a dive, sorry.

You could perhaps export it as UDCF, and then manually split it and create two UDCF files and import those back. Would be a little annoying but it would work?
Boris
Dive Computer: HW OSTC 2C

Post by Boris »

nick wrote:There is currently no way to split a dive, sorry.
Is this intended for a future release?
You could perhaps export it as UDCF, and then manually split it and create two UDCF files and import those back. Would be a little annoying but it would work?
Oh, I can do this.

Thanks,
Boris
nick
Site Admin

Post by nick »

It's not something I had planned, no. But I'll keep it in mind for a rainy day!
dennypage
Dive Computer: OC1

Post by dennypage »

nick wrote: You could perhaps export it as UDCF, and then manually split it and create two UDCF files and import those back. Would be a little annoying but it would work?
For whatever it's worth, I recently tested this, and I wasn't able to get it to work very well. I exported a dive that I wanted to split to UDCF and then re-imported it. The imported version was missing a lot of information/samples from the original dive.
AH_Matt
Dive Computer: Suuntu Zoop

Post by AH_Matt »

nick wrote:It's not something I had planned, no. But I'll keep it in mind for a rainy day!
I'm adding my thumbs up for this feature, but there isn't any urgency so leaving it in the rainy day group is fine. The easiest place to do it might be in the graphical depiction (side view) of the dive profile. Click a button and say 'split here'

AH_Matt
AH_Matt

Post by AH_Matt »

Hello again Nick (and everyone), I'm back on this topic. It has been bugging me that there isn't a dive profile for the second dive, and I have a little bit of free time. I am able to easily determine the split point in the sample intervals when I export the dive log as XML, and I am able to renumber and move the data over to the second dive. In theory, I should be able to do the same in the SQLfile. I have installed a couple of tools in order to edit a backup copy of the master SQLite file. Anything I should know before I dive in?

Cheers, Matt
nick
Site Admin

Post by nick »

Be very careful editing the database. The schema is managed by an Apple Framework, MacDive does not interact directly with it. I would highly recommend against editing it.

I would actually suggest you create a couple of UDDF files and then import those instead. You can export one, then duplicate it and just tweak the times, profile samples, etc. It will be much, much saner - you will have all of the funky database stuff taken care of for you, and MacDive will create a few other internal entries/values correctly.

If you really want to edit the database, please back it up first, and then please don't email me when it breaks :) This is likely to cause problems that will manifest in bizarre ways in MacDive. Let it do the right thing for you.
AH_Matt

Post by AH_Matt »

Thank you sir, will do.