no serial port on Macbook pro

Problems ? Get help here!
Lance
Dive Computer: vyper 2

no serial port on Macbook pro

Post by Lance »

Can anyone assist please? I have just downloaded Macdive 2 and when I try to import dive data from Suunto vyper 2 I am asked for a serial port. There are none on the Macbook pro. Any suggestions?
nick
Site Admin
Dive Computer: Shearwater Teric

Re: no serial port on Macbook pro

Post by nick »

What kind of cable do you have for your Vyper ?

Typically you will have a cable that plugs in to the Vyper on one end, and has a USB plug on the other end. This is actually a serial cable, with a USB plug - which is why MacDive needs a serial port.

This is why you need to install a Serial to USB driver, as linked on the devices page (http://www.mac-dive.com/devices.php).
Lance

Post by Lance »

Thanks for replying Nick. Yes, the cable I am using is the Suunto supplied cable that came with the Suunto Dive Manager that only works on PC's, exactly as you described. Presumably the link you provided will be a solution. I'll give it a go and let you know.
nick
Site Admin

Post by nick »

If it is the official cable then yes, download and install the FTDI driver that the devices page links to.
Lance

Post by Lance »

Thank you Nick. All good. Everything downloaded. I must admit to being quite impressed with Macdive 2 on first appearances. It seems to follow the Mac principle of intuitive ease of use.
nick
Site Admin

Post by nick »

It tries, but I'm sure you'll find some silly design decisions along the way. Feel free to just pop me an email and suggest they be fixed when you do!

Cheers for the kind words - glad you got it all sorted.