Gear Service Reminder

Suggestions? Comments? Features you'd like to see?
pjones
Dive Computer: Aeris Manta

Gear Service Reminder

Post by pjones »

Thanks for such a great program, I have an idea that would help keep gear in tip top shape and people safe...
I know that I can put the date of purchase and a service history note on my gear item but it would sure be nice to have a reminder that flashes when you launch the program to remind you of an upcoming due service. For example: one month before due service then every week there after until a new service note is added to that piece of gear. Or, it could be as simple as entering the recommended number of days before the gear requires service and there could be a window that displays the count down beside the name of that item.

I think this would benefit those with multiple sets of gear as well as the people who simply need that extra little reminder sometimes (because life happens).

I would sure appreciate anything you could do along those lines but would like to add a little wish list of ideas to put this idea over the top if you were to feel REALLY ambitious in making this wish come true... :D
-User selectable service interval so to accomodate different manufactures service interval recommendations/requirements.
-Revolving reminder so the user does not need to insert a new service date every time.
-Adjustable reminder notification: To allow active divers to set a reminder (for example) 3 weeks prior to the due service date while less active divers or those who open MacDive less often may want to set the reminder for 3 months warning so they can be sure to not miss a notification.
-Agressive reminder feature so the program launches itself to present the reminder if you have not opened the program recently enough to see a service that is very close to its due date (within one week for example). Alternatively and ideally the ability for it to send an E-mail to a preset address of upcoming required services would be really quite amazing although I realize that would probably not be feasible.

Again, anything you can do to incorporate this into the program would be greatly appreciated by many I'm sure.

Thanks for doing what you do
Patrick.
nick
Site Admin
Dive Computer: Shearwater Teric

Re: Gear Service Reminder

Post by nick »

Hey there,

Thanks for the great suggestions! Proper gear servicing reminders is on the todo list, I just (unfortunately) haven't had time to get to it yet. You have some good ideas in there actually that have gotten me thinking.
pjones
Dive Computer: Aeris Manta

Re: Gear Service Reminder

Post by pjones »

Thanks Nick!
I can understand a busy schedule and glad to hear its in the works. I'm looking forward to seeing what you decide on.

Thanks again
Patrick