Improvements to ascent rate measurement / visualizations

Suggestions? Comments? Features you'd like to see?
calmh
Dive Computer: Perdix AI

Improvements to ascent rate measurement / visualizations

Post by calmh »

Hi!

MacDive shows the ascent rate in units per second (meters per second for metric, feet per second for imperial). However the ascent rate is typically talked about in units per minute, and the values shown by MacDive get rather small and rather imprecise. For example, an ascent rate of 5 m/min is shown as 0.08 m/s. It would be nice if these measurements used per-minute values instead, like the SAC/RMV etc.

I'm also wondering about the thresholds for ascent rate warnings in the graph. Here's an example of an orange-highlighted ascent:
Screenshot 2022-09-04 at 12.21.48.png
I'm going from 10m to 5m in 1:20, so 3.75 m/min. That's far below the usually recommended 10 m/min -- why the highlight? (I can see there's a slight sawtoothiness to it, but even the individual segments are not close to warning rates, IMHO.)
jarold
Dive Computer: Mares Puck Pro

Re: Improvements to ascent rate measurement / visualizations

Post by jarold »

I've noticed that ascent rate highlight a lot on my dives and double checking I was well within the allowed speed so same query from me.
acreichman
Dive Computer: Shearwater Perdix AI

Re: Improvements to ascent rate measurement / visualizations

Post by acreichman »

Same observation and same question from me. I can turn off the warning on the graph but I'd like to know what triggers it in the first place.