Apple Watch Ultra

General MacDive discussion, updates, etc.
Seanus
Dive Computer: Aqualung i450T

Apple Watch Ultra

Post by Seanus »

Very excited by the new Apple Watch Ultra’s Dive capabilities. Fingers crossed my beloved MacDive App will receive an update to work with this.

https://www.apple.com/apple-watch-ultra/
Flying Squid
Dive Computer: Shearwater Teric

Re: Apple Watch Ultra

Post by Flying Squid »

Yes, the Apple Watch Ultra could be a compelling option especially for occasional divers who also do other outdoor sports.

Hopefully at launch (or soon thereafter), divers with Apple Watch Ultra using the Oceanic+ dive computer app will be able to sync dives to third-party dive log apps (like MacDive) and won't be locked into using the Oceanic+ dive log functionality.

Hopefully at some point, Apple will let other developers besides Oceanic+ create dive computer apps for the Apple Watch Ultra (i.e. make an API available with depth and time so the app can run a deco algorithm). I'd love to see what the MacDive and Subsurface guys could come up with for a dive computer watch app.

Nick - any initial thoughts on Apple Watch Ultra possibilities for MacDive?
undrh2o
Dive Computer: Shearwater Perdix

Post by undrh2o »

As much as I like Apple, I'm guessing that the API for Oceanic+ and Apple Watch Ultra will be tightly controlled. As a collector of dive watches and made the transition to an Apple Watch this is everything that I would want. But I'm not giving up my MacDive logbook and great product support. I already have the Shearwater Perdix at $1300 so dropping another $800 that has the capabilities of a full blow dive watch (with other S/W) is more a question of vanity. Those with the Shearwater Teric (and Apple users) and more vacation divers may find it more appealing. Mind you, I still like the ruggedness, cool factor that made me collect dive watches.

If it can sync with MacDive, I may pull the trigger. Definitely need my Perdix for more advanced dives.

Regards,
Robert
deandon
Dive Computer: Suunto EON Core

Post by deandon »

+1 for MacDive support for AWU.

Very tempted to replace my existing apple watch for the ultra, but features of MacDive are an absolute must.

I plan on using the AWU as a secondary dive computer not replacing my Suunto Eon Core - partly as I’ve asked oceanic if they are able to utilise air integration module - which right now they can’t.

Early doors for all this but potential is great.

For me the siren and gps in and out of dives is key. I know the garmin does this but already heavy apple user and have the Suunto… so shifting across to garmin isn’t an option really.
mikefaf
Dive Computer: Shearwater Perdix 2

Post by mikefaf »

+1 MacDive AWU
moodog
Dive Computer: Shearwater Teric

Post by moodog »

+1 Macdive for me too...

I haven't dug in to it much yet and they clearly do not have an export function (or allow you to add to the log book manually for that matter, yet?! ) Which actually triggered me to email them my feelings on that.. for what it's worth haha.

Pretty sure they would need to put a API in to allow 3rd party apps to pull from the database or at least give read only access to the log database.. then I could see MacDive being able to give us a New Device (Oceanic+) so that we could import from the logs.

Again... internally this could be there I haven't dug in to see if access is available now, I'll try to look in to that. If so I could see the addition sooner then later (depending on MacDive Development) but if its locked, we screwed until Oceanic+ allows it... I pleaded to them the importance of giving Developers access but who am I :lol:
mfupi
Dive Computer: Oceanic VT 4.0

Post by mfupi »

undrh2o wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 11:29 am If it can sync with MacDive, I may pull the trigger. Definitely need my Perdix for more advanced dives.
I think it's going to be at least a couple more models before it's truly a competitive model against existing manufacturers like Shearwater, Garmin, and ScubaPro... unless Apple just buys one of them.

I'd be more interested in them getting a competitive scuba-diving depth-rating on something like an iPad mini. A big, interactive screen and great UI on the iPad would, IMHO, blow the competition out of the water.
espenmoe
Dive Computer: Suunto Eon Steel

Post by espenmoe »

deandon wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 8:53 pm Very tempted to replace my existing apple watch for the ultra, but features of MacDive are an absolute must.
Agree! I will not by anything I can't sync with MacDive. This is an awsome piece of software, and I can't imagine trading it with anything else on the market.

+1 for MacDive support for AWU!
astr0b0y
Dive Computer: Apple Watch Ultra

Post by astr0b0y »

I've been using an Ultra and the Oceanic+ app (my first dive computer) since release and logged about 15 dives with it. It's fine for an initial release and I am hoping they do further development and add more features.
There are two apps available to export dive data from the AWU:

1. AWU2UDDF - https://apps.apple.com/in/app/awu2uddf/id1661616210
Allows you to export depth and temp data collected by the watch to UDDF. Free.
I've used this to add dives to MacDive quite successfully. It's missing PPO2, gas mix, GF etc. that the Oceanic+ app logs.

2. Dive Converter - https://apps.apple.com/us/app/dive-conv ... 6446218356
Allows you to export dives logged by the Oceanic+ app. US$1.99. Requires the user to have set up their Oceanic+ account with an email/password and not using Apple auth.
From the notes it seems all data captured by Oceanic+ is exported plus some additional calcs are offered (eg surface time)

Oceanic have indicated that and export function is in their roadmap. I certainly hope so as currently the app only keeps dives for 12 months!
exf4gib
Dive Computer: Scubapro Galileo 2

Post by exf4gib »

Just purchased an Apple Watch Ultra and took it for a ‘test’ dive yesterday. Worked “as advertised”, and while I understand it’s limitations, I’m quite impressed with it’s performance. With the “auto-launch” mode selected for the “Dive” feature, this device works seamlessly/no button actions needed. While I respect other comments about the “pricey” nature of this digital watch, IMHO, it’s features easily justify it’s price. Adding a ‘receiver’ capability for a tank pressure transmitter would be ‘huge’, although I have that with my primary computer.