Extremely Slow Load Times

Problems ? Get help here!
azchipka
Dive Computer: Geo V2 / Shearwater

Extremely Slow Load Times

Post by azchipka »

So I am absolutely loving the new mac dive. The problem I have is the larger the database gets the longer it takes the new version of MacDive to do anything.

Its almost as if the database is trying to load absolutely everything when the application is launched. Which seems kinda silly since there is no reason to load photos embedded into a dive if i dont open that dive up.

Basically what I am looking at is a dive log with over 3000 dives. About 150 pieces of dive gear and about 800 different sites.

Now dont get me wrong not really complaining to much here as this is not the kinda of data the average user puts in and very few digital dive logs are able to handle the pure amount of data I put into it.

This is more of a FYI and hey it would be cool if this got better.

Current wait for application to launch is about 15 minutes, once launched its about another 10 minutes before I can actually do anything in the application. Switching to sites results in about 10 minute wait and switching to gear about a 5 minute wait. Once everything is intially loaded after visiting it the first time the switch time drops by about half.

The worst part is while MacDive is running the rest of the computer is basically unusable.

PID: 73612-
COMMAND: MacDive
%CPU: 57.5
TIME: 32.51 (Application is still loading at this point)
#TH: 4
#WQ: 2
#PORT: 132
#MREG: 432
RPRVT: 1377M
RSHRD: 29M
RSIZE: 1402M
VPRVT: 2357M
VSIZE: 3160M
PGRP: 73612
PPID: 204
STATE: running
UID: 501
FAULTS: 1543428
COW: 469
MSGSENT: 5119

A database driven application consuming 58% of the processor and 8325 MB of RAM (physical and virtual) when its not even the front most application seems a bit out of place. Once the application finishes loading ram usage drops by about 75% and CPU usage goes to about 30%.

Due to the delays its become next to impossible to use the application on a day to day basis.

I have already tried exporting all the raw dive data and creating a new library with out any photos in it that helps but not by much.

Any suggestions about steps I can take on my end to speed this up.
nick
Site Admin
Dive Computer: Shearwater Teric

Re: Extremely Slow Load Times

Post by nick »

How big is your data file?

There are a few things I can do to improve performance, but it would be good to have your data as a test case. If you are able to upload it somewhere I can grab it that would be helpful.