Problems ? Get help here!
Flying Squid
Dive Computer: Shearwater Teric

iOS app v1.4.9 crashes attempting to "Start recording location"

Post by Flying Squid »

iPhone 13 Pro, iOS 15.5, MacDive app v1.4.9, Teric

Steps to reproduce:
- In MacDive iOS app, go to More > GPS Tracker
- Map shows entire USA (i.e. GPS fix not obtained)
- A few seconds later, app crashes and exits to home screen
- Same result regardless of whether I tap on "Start recording location" or not

Reproducibility: 100% (since updating to 1.4.9 I believe)

"Debug logging" enabled so there should be some logs to look at.

Location tracking worked OK for me in previous MacDive iOS app versions. Something seems to have broken with v1.4.9.

Please fix when possible. The ability to associate dives with dive sites with as little work as possible is the main reason I purchased the MacDive iOS and Mac apps.

(Subsurface's location tracking in their iOS app got super-buggy and unusable over time due to changes in iOS location permissions - hopefully that's not happening here too.)

Thanks Nick!
nick
Site Admin

Re: iOS app v1.4.9 crashes attempting to "Start recording location"

Post by nick »

It works fine for me. Does the app have Location permissions?
Flying Squid

Post by Flying Squid »

Hi Nick - yes, MacDive is allowed to access location "Always", with "Precise Location" enabled.

A few days ago I even tried toggling location permission to "Never" and then back to "Always", and app still crashed on "Start Recording Location".

I tried again just now - same result.

Other apps on my phone are able to use GPS fine - Waze, Google Maps etc. - so I wouldn't suspect a general lower-level issue.

Please let me know if you want me to try anything to help debug.
Flying Squid

Post by Flying Squid »

Just for fun, in iOS Settings I tried various combinations of toggling MacDive's location access between "Never", "Ask Next Time Or When I Share", "While Using the App", and "Always".

Some of these result in the modal "Allow "MacDive" to use your location?" being shown when going to More > GPS Tracker in the MacDive app.

No matter what I choose on the modal ("Allow Once", "Allow While Using App", "Don't Allow"), still get the same result: app freezes unresponsive while map shows entire USA, and after several seconds the app crashes and exits to home screen.

Also tried with "Precise Location" disabled and with it enabled. Same result.

Had "Debug Logging" enabled and forced some cloud syncs, so hopefully there are logs to look at.

Out of curiosity - was anything changed in v1.4.9 with respect to location handling?
Shadallark
Dive Computer: Mares Wrist Puck

Post by Shadallark »

Good day to you Nick and Flying Squid (love the name by the way);

After seeing this post I thought I would give the GPS Tracker a try as it is not a feature that I have every used before. For the test I used MacDive on my iPhone SE (MHGE3VC/A) running iOS 15.5 and MacDive 1.4.9.

The first time I tested it I was connected to my home WiFi which I realized would not be a realistic test when out at a dive site so I tested again with WiFi turned off.

When I tried it the first time I was asked if I wanted to let MacDive use my location, I selected Only While Using the App; it showed the map of North America and my location in it correctly. It worked fine when I told it to start recording my location and when I told it to stop.

I tested again with WiFi turned off, it showed the map of North America and my location in it correctly. It worked fine when I told it to start recording my location and when I told it to stop.

Strange that it is causing your app to crash.

Sorry I could not highlight anything that might be causing your issue.

Have a great day everyone!

Shadallark
The MacDs
New Brunswick, Canada

Family of Mares Puck and Aqualung i300c users
Flying Squid

Post by Flying Squid »

tl;dr: deleting and re-installing MacDive iOS app seems to have gotten location tracking working again. Still not sure what was the root cause here.

===

Thanks for helping investigate, Shadallark.

I noticed MacDive iOS app was updated to v1.4.10. Hoping that v1.4.10 had a fix for this issue, I tried again to go to "More" > "GPS Tracker", but got the same hang and then crash on "Start Recording Location".

Just for fun, I then deleted (or "Removed") the MacDive app from my phone, and re-downloaded it from the App Store.

I turned iCloud sync back on and re-downloaded my dives.

I then went to "More" > "GPS Tracker". This time, instead of the hang / crash, I saw the modal window: "Allow "MacDive" to use your location?"

Interestingly, "Always" was not one of the options, just "Allow Once", "Allow While Using App", and "Don't Allow".

I selected "Allow While Using App." I then was able to tap "Start Recording Location" which appears to have worked correctly. That line changed to "Stop Recording Location". The map view still showed all of North America (i.e. didn't shift and zoom correctly to my location), but if I scroll over I can see a blue pin on my current location.

Then I went into iOS Settings, and changed MacDive's location permission to "Always" so it can run in the background and track my dive sites as desired.

Hopefully this continues to work. I will post again if not. Thanks all!