Garmin Descent Mk2i Support?

Problems ? Get help here!
cfb
Dive Computer: Aqualung i770r

Garmin Descent Mk2i Support?

Post by cfb »

Greetings,

First let me say I absolutely love MacDive. I’ve got it on my desktop, my iPad, and my iPhone. Myself and an instructor I work with regularly (I’m a DM-in-training), recommend the app to all our students and will help them setup the app on their iPhone or iPad as part of the class if they want.I simply could not live without it which brings me to my question, what is the status of support for the Garmin Descent Mk2i? I see the most recent release notes indicate support, but it also notes “via FIT”. From what I can tell FIT is a data interchange format Garmin created for “fitness” devices. Does MacDive talk directly with the Garmin Descent Mk2i via Bluetooth to pull the FIT data? Or is it a manually process to get the data out of the device and into MacDive?

I am currently use an Aqualung i770r and I frequently use my iPad to pull the data directly off the device and update my logs directly on the iPad on the boat trip home. I then sync it via iCloud and finish up logging on my desktop at home (if needed). I’m hoping I could preserve a similar workflow if I moved to the Garmin Descent Mk2i.

Thanks again for such a fantastic app!
nick
Site Admin
Dive Computer: Shearwater Teric

Re: Garmin Descent Mk2i Support?

Post by nick »

Right now you need to manually grab the FIT files via USB and then drag/drop them to read them, but the Mk2i is supported.
delonlim
Dive Computer: Garmin Descent Mk1

Post by delonlim »

but the problem is the macos big sur cannot detect Garmin Mk2i if you plug it using USB
cfb
Dive Computer: Aqualung i770r

Post by cfb »

I’m having a hard time figuring out how you access the FIT files directly (probably doesn’t help that I don’t have a unit to play with). Is it possible to access the FIT files directly from an iPad and import them into MacDive or is it only possible on a full computer (desktop/laptop)?

Thanks
nick
Site Admin
Dive Computer: Shearwater Teric

Post by nick »

Only macOS currently. I will add iOS support at some point but it would be via iCloud Drive or email or whatever.
Kevyneuro
Dive Computer: Garmin Descent MK2I

Post by Kevyneuro »

I to would like the Garmin Descent MK2I Supported. I love the app and have purchased all I can. Thank you
eliotf
Dive Computer: D9tx

Post by eliotf »

Hello all,
I was able to figure this out. Not as straightforward as a standard sync but it works.

1. You have to download Garmin Express from the Garmin website. (you most likely already have it if you have the Descent)
2. click on Garmin Connect on the bottom right. This opens up a web version of Garmin Connect in your web browser.
3. on the left click on the diving activity.
4. select a dive by clicking on the dive number. This opens up the details of the dive.
5. on the top right you will see a small gear wheel. Click on the gear wheel and select "export original". This will download a zip file.
6. Double click on the zip file to unzip it and then you have your FIT file.
7. Drag and drop the FIT file on MacDive and you are done. You then have make sure the dive numbers are correct. For me it imported it as dive 1.

Hope this helps.
Wish I was diving.
eliotf
Dive Computer: D9tx

Post by eliotf »

Just a small edit.
You can skip steps 1 and 2 and just open your browser and go to: https://connect.garmin.com. Once you are there you can sign into your Garmin account and access your info. Continue from steps 3 on.

The dive site name does not transfer over. Neither does the latitude and longitude. You have to copy and paste them into MacDive. When doing this I had to copy the longitude AND latitude values together and paste both into one field within MacDive. If you just paste the longitude data into the longitude field, when you go back to get the latitude data and come back to MacDive, the longitude data will be gone. So paste both into one field and then separate them within MacDive as not to lose the data.
I hope that makes sense.
Wish I was diving.
goofysgb
Dive Computer: Garmin Mk2i

Post by goofysgb »

Any Update for support to capture the dive name and locations from the fit file? if need can provide fit files.