Items re-appearing in edited gear groups

Problems ? Get help here!
Nick Barter
Dive Computer: Perdix, Petrel 2

Items re-appearing in edited gear groups

Post by Nick Barter »

Hi Nick

I use the Gear Groups feature quite a lot. Something I've noticed over a long period of time (but which I have only just got around to contacting you about) is that when I edit a gear group I sometimes find a few weeks later it 'unedits' itself and adds back in gear that I have deleted from it. It never adds new random gear. It never removes new gear I have added. But it definitely puts back gear I have deleted. It doesn't always do this, but something in the code somewhere is triggering deleted gear to be reinstated.

Because I keep a copy of MacDive on two Macs and my iPhone I use the iCloud sync feature. I have double-checked that each of the three local copies of my dive log are synced once I've edited a Group. They've all been through the Sync process and they all have the same current version of an edited Group. I may open them and upload new dives several times and they all remain in sync. So I've discounted the idea that the sync per se is an issue.

But one day when I open one of the copies, add some dives and look to add the Group again I see that there are more items in the Group than I expect and they are all items I have previously deleted from the Group. Not necessarily just the last edit either but from previous edits too. This happened yesterday when I added a new dive which has triggered me to write this. Gear I deleted months ago and gear I deleted last week was back in the main Gear Group I use.

I had a quick search but couldn't see any other reported instances of this or solutions, so I hope you can help.

regards
Nick
nick
Site Admin
Dive Computer: Shearwater Teric

Re: Items re-appearing in edited gear groups

Post by nick »

Nick Barter
Dive Computer: Perdix, Petrel 2

Post by Nick Barter »

thanks Nick

I'll post back some time if it solves the issue .... need to give it a few weeks though ;)

Nick
Shadallark
Dive Computer: Mares Wrist Puck

Post by Shadallark »

Good day to you Nick;

I have been experiencing a similar issue. We recently got drysuits for each of us and therefore inactivated our two piece wetsuits from our gear and removed them from our gear groups. We went back through our dives since the start of August and removed these pieces of gear from the appropriate dives, saved and synced. For the next few syncs things look fine, then the gear starts showing up on dives again. Not all the dives at the same time and not necessarily both pieces.

Seeing the article above I removed our second Mac, iPhone, and iPad mini 2 from syncing, cleaned up the data on our MacBook Pro, reset the sync data (leaving the photos on Dropbox), setup the sync on the MacBook Pro, deleted the app from the iPad mini 2, reinstalled the app, it came up with no data, I synced it up. I did not have a chance to look at the data at that point (midnight last night); now when I look at the data on the iPad mini 2 the two piece wetsuits are showing up again on some of our dives.

Any idea what might be causing this? When I cleaned up the data on the MacBook Pro I made sure none of the gear is set to add automatically; our gear groups are set to add automatically but they do not (currently) show the two piece wetsuits. Like Nick Barter mentioned in his post gear does sometimes come back into these gear groups as well.

Keep up the great work, we love the software!

Shadallark
The MacDs
New Brunswick, Canada

Family of Mares Puck and Aqualung i300c users
Shadallark
Dive Computer: Mares Wrist Puck

Post by Shadallark »

Good day again Nick;

To make this even stranger (to me anyways) I looked at the data on my Mac that I had cleaned up (without allowing it to sync since the iPad mini has synced) and the extra gear is not showing up there in the same dives it is currently showing up on the iPad mini.

Let me know your thoughts. Should I reset my Dropbox sync data again from the Mac and remove the data from the iPad or should I try to clean it on the iPad the same as I I’d on the Mac previously before letting it sync back to the Mac?

Have a great day!

Shadallark
The MacDs
New Brunswick, Canada

Family of Mares Puck and Aqualung i300c users
nick
Site Admin
Dive Computer: Shearwater Teric

Post by nick »

It doesn't really matter which is which. It just matters you remove the data from everywhere except one place, so that different data sets are not competing.

Auto-adding gear only happens when a dive is created, it doesn't happen at any other point. If you are seeing a difference in data after syncing then either there were conflicting databases when you began, or it was modified after the sync started, or possibly there's some caching going on with Dropbox. You can reset and then just leave it a while to see if that helps, before enabling again. The key thing is to delete ALL of the data except for one master set, and make sure you are happy with the state of that.

Back up first obviously.