2.1.0 - Out Now

General MacDive discussion, updates, etc.
tramjoe
Dive Computer: Nemo Wide

Re: 2.1.0 - Out Now

Post by tramjoe »

Hi There.

Just installed the 2.1.0, looks good so far.
A good bunch of the problems I reported are fixed, thanks for that :-)
Also, some apparently controversial improvements like saving column width are in, and I love that one ! ;-)

Now for the usual (sorry) remarks/questions/wishes:

- Is it possible that Macdive 2.0 somehow uninstalled itself ? I doubt it, but trying to click on the icon today just led to the dock displaying a grey question mark in the middle of it, and looking at the app in my applications folder confirmed it was gone. So it prompted me to download it again and I installed 2.1.0 (that's how I realised it was out). Note that I had an unstable 3G connection for the last weeks (travelling), and it might be the case that I launched Macdive and somehow an auto update (that I did not notice) failed. Is that a possible explanation ?

- A minor bug: when displaying a free dive log with the extra grey box giving ascent speed etc., then clicking on a dive with no data, instead of a blank graph I get a blank graph + the same grey box from the free dive.

- How does downloading the dives works out which dive is new and which is already downloaded ? Before upgrading, with several merged dives (I suspect this is what cause the issue), downloading dives from my Nemo Wide duplicated a few already saved dives, that I had to delete. Will retest as soon as I have new dives to download, should be in a week or two.

- I still get only five dives out of twenty total and 10 with SAC data in the average SAC consumption graph (you already have my DB data)

- I still get a portion of the dive graph beyond the X axis limit, but a lot less than with the previous version (merged dives, you have my DB)

- Still eager to have some features for next version (hehe, I never let go, so bare with me ;-) ): updated SAC algorithm that excludes the surface time from the calculation (for training dives with yoyo profiles and several surface time intervals), assuming you do not breathe from the reg in surface, an added "real dive time" column showing dive time excluding surface intervals and possibility to select a part of the graph and get avg ascent/descent speed for that portion.

Best Regards,
Jerome
nick
Site Admin
Dive Computer: Shearwater Teric

Post by nick »

tramjoe wrote: - Is it possible that Macdive 2.0 somehow uninstalled itself ? I doubt it, but trying to click on the icon today just led to the dock displaying a grey question mark in the middle of it, and looking at the app in my applications folder confirmed it was gone. So it prompted me to download it again and I installed 2.1.0 (that's how I realised it was out). Note that I had an unstable 3G connection for the last weeks (travelling), and it might be the case that I launched Macdive and somehow an auto update (that I did not notice) failed. Is that a possible explanation ?
I don't think so, no. Maybe you accidentally deleted it.
- A minor bug: when displaying a free dive log with the extra grey box giving ascent speed etc., then clicking on a dive with no data, instead of a blank graph I get a blank graph + the same grey box from the free dive.
Ok - that's easily sorted.
- How does downloading the dives works out which dive is new and which is already downloaded ? Before upgrading, with several merged dives (I suspect this is what cause the issue), downloading dives from my Nemo Wide duplicated a few already saved dives, that I had to delete. Will retest as soon as I have new dives to download, should be in a week or two.
Yes, that would cause the issue, and it is no different now. When you merge them you are combining them in to a single entity that has one identifier. Currently there is no way to track all of the unique identifiers for one merged dive to prevent this. The simple solution is just to delete them after they are downloaded (understandably that may be a little annoying if you are frequently doing dives like this).
- I still get only five dives out of twenty total and 10 with SAC data in the average SAC consumption graph (you already have my DB data)
I don't recall this. Could you do me a favour and just re-send me your data file? I'll take a look tonight.
- I still get a portion of the dive graph beyond the X axis limit, but a lot less than with the previous version (merged dives, you have my DB)
Same deal. Is it just a tiny little bit? There is some graph smoothing applied, though it has the unfortunate side effect of drawing the graph slightly outside the bounds. It does make the rest of the graph a lot nicer. I need to get this to work a little better but for now it's such a minor detail I haven't paid it much attention.
tramjoe
Dive Computer: Nemo Wide

Post by tramjoe »

nick wrote:
tramjoe wrote: - Is it possible that Macdive 2.0 somehow uninstalled itself ? I doubt it, but trying to click on the icon today just led to the dock displaying a grey question mark in the middle of it, and looking at the app in my applications folder confirmed it was gone. So it prompted me to download it again and I installed 2.1.0 (that's how I realised it was out). Note that I had an unstable 3G connection for the last weeks (travelling), and it might be the case that I launched Macdive and somehow an auto update (that I did not notice) failed. Is that a possible explanation ?
I don't think so, no. Maybe you accidentally deleted it.
OK. Probably then.
nick wrote:
Ok - that's easily sorted.
Cool.
nick wrote:
Yes, that would cause the issue, and it is no different now. When you merge them you are combining them in to a single entity that has one identifier. Currently there is no way to track all of the unique identifiers for one merged dive to prevent this. The simple solution is just to delete them after they are downloaded (understandably that may be a little annoying if you are frequently doing dives like this).
Not only annoying just if I am doing frequently dives that I merge. I am stuck for a mighty long time just by having one merged dive in the history. My Nemo Wide does not allow deleting dives and uses its available memory as a ring buffer log. I need to make more dives than the memory can contains to get rid of older one. And even then, I am not sure how macdive would react.

Really, as I said before, I think you really need to keep track of the original dives in the merged dive data structure, at least a timestamp that allows you to not download them again, at best full dive record to be able to unmerge (split) those dives again. I assume you use an SQL table for teh dives, granted that you seem to have a berkeley DB type of datafile ? EDIT: Duh, it says it is sqlite on the tin, not berkeley :-)
nick wrote:
I don't recall this. Could you do me a favour and just re-send me your data file? I'll take a look tonight.
nick wrote: Sure, will forwared to you the original email ASAP.
Same deal. Is it just a tiny little bit? There is some graph smoothing applied, though it has the unfortunate side effect of drawing the graph slightly outside the bounds. It does make the rest of the graph a lot nicer. I need to get this to work a little better but for now it's such a minor detail I haven't paid it much attention.
Yes, just a really tiny bit. Looks like smoothing now that you mention it, as it is completely aberrant (a right-side concavity, which means nothing unless a diver could go back in time ;-) )

Thanks!
--
Jerome
Foolishcfo
Dive Computer: Suunto & Cobalt

Post by Foolishcfo »

Nick,

You had said you had sent me a fix for my problem with seeing all columns in my dive log. I never received it. Can you please send again? Also, how do you delete a photo that you added to the wrong dive? I've tried to drag to it trash and right click but no luck. I don't see a place to delete them. Thanks. Eric
nick
Site Admin

Post by nick »

Dive Inspector -> PHotos -> Select one ore more photos and press the delete key.
Foolishcfo
Dive Computer: Suunto & Cobalt

Post by Foolishcfo »

Did you resend the file?
Last edited by Foolishcfo on Sun Sep 18, 2011 8:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
saintsreturn
Dive Computer: Suunto Cobra

Post by saintsreturn »

Select the dive you want to remove the photos from. Look towards the top of the screen where you see the "blue circle with the i in it" and click on it. Select the tab that says photos. Select the photo, hit the delete button.

g/l
saintsreturn
Dive Computer: Suunto Cobra

Post by saintsreturn »

Nick,

Just got back from diving, loaded my dives and then upgraded to the new version... LOVE IT! I saw some changes i wanted and never asked for and some i never thought of but love! Thank you and great job!
nick
Site Admin

Post by nick »

Thanks for the kind words - appreciate it. Yeah I tried to get a bunch of stuff in that people have been asking for, but there's only ever so much time.. glad you found something you were after :)

Now, the cycle starts again..
TWilliams
Dive Computer: Cobalt

Post by TWilliams »

I upgraded to 2.1 last night, hooked up my Cobalt to download my latest 2 dives, and it sucked down all 40 in the Cobalt's dive log! Completely hosed my saved dives (in MacDive). I've had to revert back to 2.0.6 (program and database). Did I miss something somewhere that caused it to think it hadn't downloaded all the other dives? Something to do with date/time perhaps?