Converting Uwatec's JTrak logs to MacDive (and others)

General MacDive discussion, updates, etc.
helgew
Dive Computer: Shearwater Perdix AI

Converting Uwatec's JTrak logs to MacDive (and others)

Post by helgew »

Are you using JTrak on a Mac to pull dive logs off of your Uwatec dive computer (SmartCOM, SmartTEC, SmartPRO, SmartZ, Aladin PRIME, Aladin TEC, Aladin ONE, Aladin 2G, Aladin TEC 2G, Galileo SOL, Galileo TERRA und Galileo LUNA)? Do you have old logs stuck in JTrak that you would like to move to some other software (I think MacDive is a great choice, for example ;) )? Read on!

I recently got back into diving and bought a whole bag of used equipment for a very decent price. One of the items was a very gently used Galileo Sol, which has served me just fine for the time being and I have no urge to replace it yet. Once I had a couple of dives logged, I started looking at software options to manage my dives and all my shiny new (aka used) gear on my beloved MacBook. That's when I first stumbled across MacDive, which looked like an awesome tool to me (still does!). Lo and behold, there are a few posts here on the forum that quickly educated me about the issues around the support for the Uwatec computers in MacDive. Well, bummer, I thought, I'll just make do with JTrak, I thought. That lasted for about 2 weeks and I got frustrated with the lack of features, specifically the inability to manage gear, sites, and other things supported by MacDive. OK, I thought, I'll just export from JTrak and import into MacDive. Well, as you all probably know, that's not an option out of the box. The perl script I found to convert the JTrak Excel output to a format MacDive could work with seemed like a good option, but in the course of looking for it, I also dug a little deeper into JTrak's data format and code architecture. My goal was to have a simple tool that could convert JTrak data directly into an XML format compatible with other dive log software (mainly MacDive, really! Did I mention that I like MacDive?).

Anyway, long story short, after cobbling something together (with much help from Nick! Big kudos!!), I decided to wrap it all up into something others might also find useful: JTrak2XML. Feel free to give it a spin and let me know if it works (or doesn't).

The tool allows you to export all your dives from JTrak to MacDive XML or UDDF format. You will need to enter your name (or someone else's, JTrak2XML don't care) as well as the location of the JTrak app. The window that pops up when you run the tool should be pretty self-explanatory.

For now, it's a pretty bare-bones tool that will require you to use the command line (a single command you can copy and paste from the GitHub site. You can do it!!). It should work on platforms other than the Mac, but I have not tested that yet. I'll be working on the documentation some more next and also on wrapping it into an OS X app for easier use.
nick
Site Admin
Dive Computer: Shearwater Teric

Re: Converting Uwatec's JTrak logs to MacDive (and others)

Post by nick »

This is very cool!

For what it's worth, I've made quite a number of improvements to MacDive's UDDF support (both for reading and writing files). These will be released shortly, but are available in a beta if anyone would like access now.
helgew
Dive Computer: Shearwater Perdix AI

Post by helgew »

Good news everybody! JTrak2XML is now available as an OS X application! :mrgreen:
Medmonds
Dive Computer: Galileo Luna

Post by Medmonds »

Hey gang,
I’m new to this forum, and frankly new to dive computers after having been certified for 20+ years. Last week I purchased a Galileo Luna with air integration and very much would like to purchase and start using MacDive. I’m also a life-long Apple user, having starting with the Apple II+ around 1980. My current machine is a 2016 MBP running Catalina. This model only has (4) USB C ports, although I have USB-C to USB 2 or 3 adapters. (Perhaps Ironically, I just dove Catalina on Monday last week!)

Helgew’s application sounds like a great way to get dive data exported from the Luna imported into MacDive... What are the current options for getting the dive data off my Luna? Do I have to purchase Scubapro’s IRDA hardware for $80, or are there less expensive options to connect and then use Jtrak to save the data?

Is there anything lost in the data translation/migration process?

Thanks in advance.
Matt
nick
Site Admin
Dive Computer: Shearwater Teric

Post by nick »

I'm afraid I don't have much useful info for you. I'm not familiar with the Luna (it's not supported). As far as I'm aware the application here is a great approach, but I'm really not the person to ask. Hopefully helgew sees this and could chime in.