Is there a dive site database in the cloud?

General MacDive discussion, updates, etc.
jocamero
Dive Computer: Shearwater Teric

Re: Is there a dive site database in the cloud?

Post by jocamero »

Great! Thanks for the tip on KML files.
therealkris

Post by therealkris »

nick wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 9:00 am A while back I added the ability to import KML files containing dive sites. Depending on your source, you may be able to export one of those then drag/drop to import.
The KML import doesn't seem to work properly. I can drag/drop the file, but it does not get the country, location name, or longitude from the file. This map https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid= ... sp=sharing is an example. If I go to the map, select the download KML option, and make sure it exports as KML instead of KMZ, I have the problems above. This is true for any Google Maps generated file.
nick
Site Admin

Post by nick »

They don't contain the country name, only the site.

The coordinates in that file don't play nicely with the XML parser, they end up getting mangled. I will fix this for the next update.
Albert Street

Post by Albert Street »

Would it be possible to add the ability to upload a KML file in the iOS app? I do not have a Mac so cannot upload it through there.
nick
Site Admin

Post by nick »

This functionality exists, the app supports being opened with a KML file.
Albert Street

Post by Albert Street »

Awesome to hear! Thank you so much for the great app.
jasonmust

Post by jasonmust »

therealkris wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 1:47 am
nick wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 9:00 am A while back I added the ability to import KML files containing dive sites. Depending on your source, you may be able to export one of those then drag/drop to import.
The KML import doesn't seem to work properly. I can drag/drop the file, but it does not get the country, location name, or longitude from the file. This map https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid= ... sp=sharing is an example. If I go to the map, select the download KML option, and make sure it exports as KML instead of KMZ, I have the problems above. This is true for any Google Maps generated file.
There's a workaround. Open the map with Google Earth and export KML with it, the longitude would be normal.