Usage of the certification-field

General MacDive discussion, updates, etc.
honigferd
Dive Computer: D6, VyperAir, F10 V2

Usage of the certification-field

Post by honigferd »

Good morning.

Again, here I am, with a basic "how is it meant to be used" question.
Having stacked quite a few certifications/brevets I was wondering: How is the certification field "meant" to be used?

Do I just specifiy the "highest" viable certification there?

(CMAS ** for nomal dives, Nitrox ** for nitrox, Apnea 1 for pool freediving, Apnea *** for "sea freedives")

Or did I get that complete wrong? :)

Thanks!
Stefan.
Twitter - Web
CMAS** scuba diver / CMAS*** free diver
nick
Site Admin
Dive Computer: Shearwater Teric

Re: Usage of the certification-field

Post by nick »

I originally added it to record what level I was at the time, eg how many dives I did as an OW, etc.

As with anything else, it's up to you - ignore it if you like, or use it however you see fit! Instructors could use it to specify what course they were teaching at the time, for example.
honigferd
Dive Computer: D6, VyperAir, F10 V2

Re: Usage of the certification-field

Post by honigferd »

nick wrote:I originally added it to record what level I was at the time, eg how many dives I did as an OW, etc.
Ah. Wouldn't that actually be a nice "automatic" feature, as if you added the certifications right, you have all the info in the database anyway? :o

Although it probably wouldn't be that easy, as certifications nowadays are more complicated than just "this one is more advanced than this one", considering all the special courses.
nick wrote:As with anything else, it's up to you - ignore it if you like, or use it however you see fit! Instructors could use it to specify what course they were teaching at the time, for example.
Interesting approach - also with difficulties though (as instructors could in fact teach multiple courses in one dive :-S )

I think I will just keep using it in the "highest qualification viable for that specific dive". Seems most straight forward. :)

Thanks for the answer!
Twitter - Web
CMAS** scuba diver / CMAS*** free diver