GPS-tag photos from location tracking data

Suggestions? Comments? Features you'd like to see?
msantos
Dive Computer: Shearwater Teric

GPS-tag photos from location tracking data

Post by msantos »

Most of my diving is drift diving in Cozumel, where the boat (largely) follows the group of divers underwater. I use the location tracking feature of MacDive on my iPhone to record the dive site GPS information, but it would great if that data could also be used to GPS-tag photos and videos taken on the dive. MacDive basically has timestamped GPS information taken every 5 minutes or so from my phone on the boat. I'd like to be able to hand it a collection of photos and videos and automatically apply the GPS coordinate that most closely matches the timestamp on the video / photo.

Similarly, it'd be neat to be able to import my best photos and videos from a set of dives, and have them be automatically associated with the dive that covered that time range.

It would be even better if this could happen through integration with the iCloud photo library directly, rather than having to import the photos directly into MacDive.

Just some suggestions. Love the apps!
nick
Site Admin

Re: GPS-tag photos from location tracking data

Post by nick »

The macOS version already has a way to associate the photos based on timestamp etc, and they will appear on the profile. See here:

https://www.mac-dive.com/help/mac_01_11_images.php

If you have the macOS version then I would recommend importing them that way for now. Adding this feature to iOS is on my todo list, last time I looked there were issues not being able to read the appropriate EXIF info, but I believe this may be possible now.
msantos

Re: GPS-tag photos from location tracking data

Post by msantos »

Thanks Nick! That's awesome. I've got MacDive on all my devices -- Mac, iPhone, and iPad -- because different things are easier on different platforms. Didn't know about the automatic critter tagging. That's awesome as well.