Some feature requests from a keyboard warrior

Suggestions? Comments? Features you'd like to see?
ghostbuster
Dive Computer: Zoop

Some feature requests from a keyboard warrior

Post by ghostbuster »

First I want to say I am a big fan of the app overall. iCloud syncing is awesome because some things make sense to enter from phone (gps coords from site, photos, quick notes about gas pressure) and then I can use my computer to do the real organizing, typing up details etc. The app just works great and has almost every feature you need and very few you don't, so these suggestions would just take it from a 9 to a 10 in my mind.

One thing that has caught me quite a few times is a habit that I have when I'm typing on my mac and I've made an error and want to erase the current line and start over - I habitually press Cmd + Backspace to erase the entire text box and start over. In MacDive, Cmd + Backspace is bound to 'Delete this dive' on the main screen. Now this would not be a problem if it was not for the fact that the 'Edit Dive' box where I tend to do most of my typing seems to be some kind of modal window that does not capture the Cmd + backspace and instead passes it back to the main window, deleting the dive. There may be a reason this is difficult to fix but if not, it would be a big improvement for those of us who do a lot of typing into that window.

Another separate request is a few more customization options for the main dive list on Mac. If this is already possible and I've missed it then I apologize, but it would be great if there was a way to include units in the actual column. eg. if I have columns like

Dive | Dive Time | Max Depth | End Pressure | Water Temp | Surface Temp
1 | 33.00 | 45.00 | 50.00 | 10.00 | 15.30
2 | 45.50 | 35.00 | 45.00 | 25.00 | 30.00

It''s easy to lose track of which column is which. IMHO it would be much more readable if the formatting could include the units, and maybe even drop some insignificant figures

1 | 33 min | 45 ft | 50 bar | 10 °C | 15.3 °C
2 | 45:30 | 35 ft | 45 bar | 25 °C | 30 °C

My last suggestion would be to add a keyboard shortcut to bring up the dive editor for either a specific dive or a group of dives. I would humbly suggest Cmd + Enter, which I know is already bound to editing the date, but, at least for me, bringing up the dive editor is something I do much more frequently than manually editing the date from the main dive screen.

tl;dr:

1. Allow Cmd + BS to be used in the dive editor modal without deleting the entire dive
2. Add an option to display units beside every number in every row
3. Add a shortcut to edit a dive

Do any other mac users think these features would be good/bad? Thanks for reading.
nick
Site Admin
Dive Computer: Shearwater Teric

Re: Some feature requests from a keyboard warrior

Post by nick »

ghostbuster wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 3:37 am First I want to say I am a big fan of the app overall. iCloud syncing is awesome because some things make sense to enter from phone (gps coords from site, photos, quick notes about gas pressure) and then I can use my computer to do the real organizing, typing up details etc. The app just works great and has almost every feature you need and very few you don't, so these suggestions would just take it from a 9 to a 10 in my mind.
I'm glad you like it. Indeed the iPhone is really useful for GPS stuff in particular, although I still use macOS for photos (because of the auto-add functionality to place images on the profile).
1. Allow Cmd + BS to be used in the dive editor modal without deleting the entire dive
I have fixed this. Or rather, worked around it specifically for notes. The issue is that Cmd+BS is the menu shortcut so it overrides any other behaviour like the text edit one. I've added a workaround so that if you are viewing the notes tab it will perform the expected action there instead of trying to delete the dive(s). This will be in the next release.
Not sure about this one. I'll muse on it.
Cmd+I opens the dive inspector (same for sites/gear etc). It is shown under "Get Info" in the file menu. Maybe that could be renamed to "Edit Dives" or "Dive Inspector" or something.
ghostbuster
Dive Computer: Zoop

Re: Some feature requests from a keyboard warrior

Post by ghostbuster »

nick wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 7:22 am
Cmd+I opens the dive inspector (same for sites/gear etc). It is shown under "Get Info" in the file menu. Maybe that could be renamed to "Edit Dives" or "Dive Inspector" or something.
Thanks, not sure how I missed this one.
I have fixed this. Or rather, worked around it specifically for notes. The issue is that Cmd+BS is the menu shortcut so it overrides any other behaviour like the text edit one. I've added a workaround so that if you are viewing the notes tab it will perform the expected action there instead of trying to delete the dive(s). This will be in the next release.
That sounds great, looking forward to it. I have never written any apps for Mac (or iOS for that matter) so I can't say for sure, but it sounds like fixing this for all text entry is difficult/impossible.
Not sure about this one. I'll muse on it.
Thanks for responding to my post right away and in such depth :D