Allow critters categorisation by hierarchical system

Suggestions? Comments? Features you'd like to see?
timo
Dive Computer: Scubapro Aladin ONE

Allow critters categorisation by hierarchical system

Post by timo »

Hi Nick,
I'm quite new to diving and immediately love your App. I use it extensively. I also started to add all my critters as far as possible. Thereby I start struggling, because I only can find name, species and category to group and name critters. Normally critters are sorted into an hierarchical system from top to bottom.

- Domain
- Kingdom
- Phylum
- Class
- Order
- Family
- Genus
- Species

Because there are tons of species, most classifications are done by Family + Genus. Fish, corals and others are using a binomial nomenclature, which is a two ­part naming system developed by Carolus Linnaeus. first half of name is genus, second is species. Because detecting a species is quite hard, often just the family is used.

Using just name, category and species in MacDive makes it quite confusing to me. I will not give a fish or coral a name so far :-)
To group critters even better, it would be great to have at least class, family, genus and species available.
Cheers,
Timo
espenmoe
Dive Computer: Suunto Eon Steel

Re: Allow critters categorisation by hierarchical system

Post by espenmoe »

timo wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 7:54 pm To group critters even better, it would be great to have at least class, family, genus and species available.
I support this!