Auto populating fields

Suggestions? Comments? Features you'd like to see?
Amog
Dive Computer: Shearwater JJ-CCR

Auto populating fields

Post by Amog »

Hi.

As I have moved over to diving rebreather, I basically spend no time waiting for the compressor anymore. So the need for more streamlined and quick logging of the dives is increased... :) So I just wonder if there is a possibility to auto-populate more data fields?

Weights:
I dive pretty much the same setup every dive (slight change with season), so for example having a toggle in the settings to copy the weight from the last dive onto the next downloaded dive. That way, it would adjust nicely with the season, or if I go on a vacation, I just add it for the test-dive, and the rest would be automatically.

Scrubber use:
If I add something to the "Scrubber before" time field, could it add automatically the duration of the dive, and fill it in the "Scrubber after" time field? And also, just being able to adjust to closest 5 minutes (or even 10 or 15 minutes) scrubber usage instead of individual minutes? It's too accurate, and takes longer time.

Doing the same to "Scrubber type" as with "Weights" (copy from last dive), would be nice, as most people use the same type all the time.

Moving the scrubber time in the same way would also be nice, but it's not such a big deal!

Notes:
Being able to add a "standard text" to the notes field. I usually add the same text to every dive (at least the same structure), and just change details for the specific dive. If there was a field in the settings where you could make a "note", that would "pop" into every new dive, i would not have to copy-paste text every time.

I realize this is just my workflow, and it may not fit everyone or be so easy to implement, but I ask you anyway! :)

Thanks in advance!! :) AMAZING software!! :)
nick
Site Admin
Dive Computer: Shearwater Teric

Re: Auto populating fields

Post by nick »

I like the idea of being able to repeat/copy a previous value, but it seems like it would be useful more generally as well. Eg for weather, operators, stuff like that. I will have a think about it and see if I can come up with a nice way to implement it.

For the scrubber stuff, maybe, right now it's just text - it was really just a simple/hacky thing added and it doesn't do anything clever. An interesting idea though.

I like the idea of a notes template, though, macOS already has something you could use that has a proper UI and would save me a ton of work :) You can set up keyboard text substitutions quite easily, eg you type "md1" or whatever convenient shortcut you can remember, and it replaces that with your predefined note. I use this for a bunch of things I get asked way too often. Would something like that work for you?
Amog
Dive Computer: Shearwater JJ-CCR

Post by Amog »

I guess it have value for several fields, just wrote the ones I remembered and that I use. :) The Weights is "particularly hard" because its a couple extra taps to get there... :lol:

The scrubber, I use the time-fields to track scrubber use. The Shearwater have a function called "Stack timer" that keep track of scrubber use. I don't know if that's data that is available through download though? But just changing the time-selector to only displaying 5-minute intervalls would be really nice! :) The last field called "Type" I interpret as being either type of sodalime (ex: Sofnolome 797), or design (ex: axial or radial), or as the size/ammount of scrubber material. The type-field is not such an important field for me though.

I completely forgot about the text substituion! Just tried it. It works somewhat okay actually! :) Doesn't seem to allow for line-breaks, but thats a small thing! That works quite well for me. :) A template-text would be ideal, but I can live with text substitution for now... ;)

Thanks! :)
weppos
Dive Computer: Perdix, Petrel

Post by weppos »

Amog wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 7:08 am The scrubber, I use the time-fields to track scrubber use. The Shearwater have a function called "Stack timer" that keep track of scrubber use. I don't know if that's data that is available through download though? But just changing the time-selector to only displaying 5-minute intervalls would be really nice! :) The last field called "Type" I interpret as being either type of sodalime (ex: Sofnolome 797), or design (ex: axial or radial), or as the size/ammount of scrubber material. The type-field is not such an important field for me though.
I was playing around with some of my JJCCR dives, and I realized today the scrubber time was not set. I searched and I found this conversation.

@Nick
Have you ever had the chance to investigate if the Shearwater is exposing such data? I'll be happy to provide my data dump if you need some real data to check.
nick
Site Admin
Dive Computer: Shearwater Teric

Post by nick »

I don't believe it is.