Support for Shearwater computers with multiple transmitters

Suggestions? Comments? Features you'd like to see?
joemcd
Dive Computer: Shearwater Petrol

Re: Support for Shearwater computers with multiple transmitters

Post by joemcd »

Somehow I missed this .

I'm on an X-CCR with a Shearwater and it logs both diluent and O2 pressures throughout the dive. I'm happy to provide the logs of dives so you have material to work with.
nick
Site Admin
Dive Computer: Shearwater Teric

Post by nick »

I would like to see this. Could you email me your data (Tools > Send Database on macOS), and then add to the email a description of one of the dives?

It would be great to chat to you about this in terms of what is currently there and what you'd like to see.
joemcd
Dive Computer: Shearwater Petrol

Post by joemcd »

Happy to help. Sent there
nick
Site Admin

Post by nick »

Thank you! ❤️
monkkx
Dive Computer: Perdix AI

Post by monkkx »

Hello,

I'm diving OC with Shearwater Perdix, and can provide a few dives with:
- twinset with T1 AI, stage w/o AI, manual gas switch on Perdix
- twinset with T1 AI, stage with T2 AI, manual gas switch on Perdix

something a bit tricky I can foresee with stages, is that when diving my back gas I regularly pressurize the stage then close the valve ... the reg may or may not be depressurized ... that'll I think makes the automatic detection of when T2 is used a bit difficult as one need to eliminate these "false readings" and only care about continuous usage of T2. Some smart AI (artificial intelligence in this case) or mathematics would help I believe :)

I'm craving for the multiple gas feature, so I'm happy to provide dive logs
izibo

Post by izibo »

nick wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 6:11 am Does this sound reasonable? Would this cover all of the various setups you are hoping to use? Am I missing anything? I'd really love any feedback here. I'd also like some sample data from as many configurations as possible. To start, these would be good:
  • switching between two gases (eg air and nitrox) with only one transmitter
I think this happens a fair amount, especially when people are doing decompression dives. I personally do not see significant value to have a transmitter on decompression gases (like EAN50 or 100%), particularly because I can tell on my dive profile when I know when I switch certain gas based on depth and deco stops. Plus since when switching gases on the computer serves as a natural bookmark for MacDive.
  • switching between two gases (eg air and nitrox) with two transmitters
This may happen a descent amount, especially with decompression diving. I think this would be another instance where the dive computer showing a gas switch would be helpful. Maybe it would be possible to MacDive to be able to identify which transmitter is being utilized before/after a switch and automatically associate it with the gas on the computer.
  • side mount switching between tanks, with 2 transmitters (possibly with 1 transmitter as well - does anyone do this?)
I think this is the most common scenario for the recreational folks. I think if you have a sidemount mode it would show the data for both transmitters but calculate the SAC continuously between the two tanks.
  • two tanks with two transmitters in a manifold setup (does anyone do this?)
I cannot imagine the benefit of having two transmitters in a manifold setup since they would read the same value (and I think most technical divers would dive a SPG in addition to a transmitter).
  • any CCR setups with one or two transmitters
Not much of a CCR diver, so can't comment.

I did send you some of my sidemount logs, hope it is helpful!
nick
Site Admin

Post by nick »

Thanks for the reply/logs. I have a number of logs now for a basic sidemount setup (two tanks, 1-2 transmitters). This is really useful. The approach so far is that MacDive will try and detect this scenario and set up two tanks, assigning a transmitter to each (which can be changed after the fact if it's wrong etc).

I'd be interested in some other setups as well if anyone has any logs with transmitters in a different setup.
monkkx

Post by monkkx »

nick wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 3:45 am Thanks for the reply/logs. I have a number of logs now for a basic sidemount setup (two tanks, 1-2 transmitters). This is really useful. The approach so far is that MacDive will try and detect this scenario and set up two tanks, assigning a transmitter to each (which can be changed after the fact if it's wrong etc).

I'd be interested in some other setups as well if anyone has any logs with transmitters in a different setup.
I can provide logs for backmount (twinset with manifold) + deco stage setup.
Phiolin

Post by Phiolin »

Nice to see that there is finally some progress on this. I must admit I switched to DivingLog last year because Sven got the two transmitter setup working quite well, but I miss MacDive quite a bit. ;)
The iOS / MacOS combination just works much better for me then Windows and reading the dive computer via Bluetooth on Windows is a nightmare as it is really hit and miss and often requires stupid workarounds to get the connection working, whereas with MacDive this works flawlessly on the Mac. Also the integration with the iOS app is just far smoother than the DivingLog / Dive-Log combination.
So definitely looking forward to this as I'd very likely switch back to MacDive instantly and probably would also try to convince my wife to switch as well as she is now also running a Perdix AI with double transmitters on her side mount gear. Unfortunately she's quite a lot into statistics, so not having data from both transmitters is just a no-go for her at this time. :D
Nevertheless I still have MacDive installed, so if you need any more data from a "standard" side mount setup, let me know.
nick
Site Admin

Post by nick »

If you could log some recent dives and send them to me (Tools > Send Database) with a brief description that would be great. May have a couple of questions.