Grouping dives/creating sessions

Suggestions? Comments? Features you'd like to see?
honigferd
Dive Computer: D6, VyperAir, F10 V2

Grouping dives/creating sessions

Post by honigferd »

Hello.

I've had this problem with normal dives a few times, now as I'm starting to add freediving logs to MacDive it's becoming quite a biggie though.

There are dives that are technically separate but belong to one "session" which I do not want to clutter up the list by showing them as single entries by default. Combining is no option either, as I want to be able to compare single dives.

In my paperlogbook it's easy to handle, I'm just combining them as a "session" and looking at single dives when needed but mostly being the summary of the dives, I could imagine something collapsible like this:
Mac-Dive Sessions.png
Where you have the summary-line (the session/group), ideally summarizing the data of the dives contained (or if that would be a lot less effort it'd also be a start to not have the session/summary actually contain any data apart from location and dates).

When you click the triangle, you expand the list and it shows all single dives.

Without a function like this I'm afraid the main lists will become quite overfilled with <10 second dives after a short while (as my perspective is to add around ~100 dives per week). You could also use it for grouping trips/holidays as separate groups.

I'm sure something like this'd be a rather practical feature for some divers but absolutely amazing for freedivers. Would it be possible to implement something in that direction?

Thanks!
Twitter - Web
CMAS** scuba diver / CMAS*** free diver
nick
Site Admin
Dive Computer: Shearwater Teric

Re: Grouping dives/creating sessions

Post by nick »

Yes, this is something I would like to look at - not so much for freediving but more for grouping dive trips together. Of course it would ideally be flexible enough to work both ways.

Thanks for the proof of concept screenshot, too :) I will definitely be looking in to this when I have some time as I think it would really help organise various dive trips together.
honigferd

Post by honigferd »

Sounds good. :)
It was just an image a glued together in Pixelmator to make it easier to understand (and maybe also make it a more "productive" suggestion).

A universal solution would be a perfect thing I guess - it's just that this issue probably hits freedivers the hardest because of the sheer amount of single entries.
Twitter - Web
honigferd

Post by honigferd »

One more thing (which could be an "extended feature wish" I guess) just popped into my mind while sorting dives:

If you clicked on a grouped dive/session, the option to have it display the profile as if all the dives were one combined dive would truly be amazing.
Twitter - Web
honigferd

Post by honigferd »

Are there any news regarding this?
Twitter - Web