Another new user feedback and requests

Suggestions? Comments? Features you'd like to see?
honigferd
Dive Computer: D6, VyperAir, F10 V2

Re: Another new user feedback and requests

Post by honigferd »

nick wrote:
sblock wrote:Ability to extract dive site from GPS info attached to a Photo (can be determined from auto import)
Maybe this could be done if the site attached to the dive had no existing GPS info already?

Do you have a couple of example images you could send me?
I guess that would be a decent solution?

I took the liberty and uploaded a bunch of geotagged photos from different locations to my dropbox:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/5600040/GeoTag/1.JPG
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/5600040/GeoTag/2.JPG
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/5600040/GeoTag/3.JPG
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/5600040/GeoTag/4.JPG
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/5600040/GeoTag/5.JPG
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/5600040/GeoTag/6.JPG
Twitter - Web
CMAS** scuba diver / CMAS*** free diver
sblock
Dive Computer: Stinger

Post by sblock »

nick wrote:
sblock wrote:Ability to extract dive site from GPS info attached to a Photo (can be determined from auto import)
Maybe this could be done if the site attached to the dive had no existing GPS info already?

Do you have a couple of example images you could send me?

Also, I added a menu item to the Edit menu for calculating the repetitive dive/surface interval. I also made the text entry boxes larger in the smart log window (I was already meaning to do that). I'll probably cut a new release with the changes so far shortly as there are a couple of bugs that need to be addressed anyway.
Wow I had heard you were responsive but I didn't expect this responsive!

For a workflow point of view it might make sense to extract the GPS info from a photo attached to a site, as opposed to a particular dive. That way the user can then attach a site photo that might be taken above water that shows the site that is more likely to have GPS info attached (Unless they have a floating antenna on the surface!) That way you can deal with the location information under the site entry where it belongs. As my UW camera does not have GPS anyway I was intending to use my other above ater camera that has GPS builtin to record the position before/after the dive. A smartphone is of course perfect for this. Perhaps this could be sync'ed from Dive Log on the iPhone?

Thanks for the quick action!

BTW I just played with the Import/Export of XML on my test machine. Why have the import under the "Download Dives" menu? It would be much more intuitive to have an Import/Export menu and leave Downloads to refer to computers only?
nick
Site Admin
Dive Computer: Shearwater Teric

Post by nick »

Or, you know, just drag and drop it. :) The Download options are just there as a convenience thing, because you can just drag and drop files. Convenience, and for people to see what file formats are supported. But yeah just DnD..

I tried dragging and dropping my Suunto but it didn't work too well, now it has a scratch.
nick
Site Admin
Dive Computer: Shearwater Teric

Post by nick »

BTW, thanks for the images. I will look at this after the current round of bug fixes etc. Using the site image for it is a good idea, though you'd have to know that your site picture had the coordinates you wanted in it. Might need to muse on that for a little bit to figure out to most intuitive way of doing it.
honigferd
Dive Computer: D6, VyperAir, F10 V2

Post by honigferd »

sblock wrote:For a workflow point of view it might make sense to extract the GPS info from a photo attached to a site, as opposed to a particular dive. That way the user can then attach a site photo that might be taken above water that shows the site that is more likely to have GPS info attached (Unless they have a floating antenna on the surface!) That way you can deal with the location information under the site entry where it belongs. As my UW camera does not have GPS anyway I was intending to use my other above ater camera that has GPS builtin to record the position before/after the dive. A smartphone is of course perfect for this. Perhaps this could be sync'ed from Dive Log on the iPhone?
Valid point(s) - I usually tag my photos manually (mostly with GPX-mapping software or Geotagger/Google Earth) to get a decent result as there is no GPS reception under water anyway.

I'm not sure about Dive Log logging the info though, it would have to track over a longer period of time I guess. I often use something like Trails for iOS for that.

At least for boat dives you're often completely geared up even before you're at the exact dive spot and having a phone/electronic device in a hectic time (especially when using a Zodiac from the main boat to the reef) wouldn't be practical, at least for me.

Having a photo to assign to the dive site sounds perfect to me though. Of course this would have to have decent Geo Coordinates attached.
Twitter - Web
CMAS** scuba diver / CMAS*** free diver
sblock
Dive Computer: Stinger

Post by sblock »

honigferd wrote: Valid point(s) - I usually tag my photos manually (mostly with GPX-mapping software or Geotagger/Google Earth) to get a decent result as there is no GPS reception under water anyway.
That raises the question, can you geocode a dive site in MD using a GPX or other geocoding file format? Perhaps another drag and drop interface for the dive site inspector Nick?

The way I located most of my old dives that I imported from my paper dive log was to find them on google maps, show the co-ords on the map and then copy and paste these into the search field under the map tab. Would be great to be able to DnD a GPX file or even drag a link from the browser!

While I think of of it Nick: can the gear groups auto-size to show all their contents?