Problems connecting Vyper Air

Problems ? Get help here!
adrianwi
Dive Computer: OSTC 2N

Problems connecting Vyper Air

Post by adrianwi »

I've got a new Macbook Air (2.13GHz 4GB) and use Macdive with a Suunto Vyper Air and a Custom Idea cable.

Whenever I connect the cable and computer and try to import into Macdive I get a error - 5 and no dives are imported. I can try this several times and no joy.

I'm also running Parallels, so if I start that and assign the USB connection to the Virtual Machine (Windows XP) I have no problem importing the dives into Suunto Dive Manager v3. If I then switch the USB connection back to the Mac, and run Macdive again it will import the dives on the first attempt.

Any idea what might be causing this and what I could do to avoid having to use the Parallels VM?

Thanks
nick
Site Admin
Dive Computer: Shearwater Teric

Re: Problems connecting Vyper Air

Post by nick »

Have you installed the customidea USB driver?
adrianwi

Post by adrianwi »

Yes, all the drivers are correctly installed (for OSX 10.6) or it wouldn't be working through the VM
TnT
Dive Computer: many

Post by TnT »

Try downloading immediately again after the error. There is a known problem with the Vyper Air that for some yet unknown reason a first download attempt fails, but the second works. When you tried in the VM, this has probably the same effect.

Can you capture the communication between SDM3 and the dive computer using portmon for me? The procedure is explained here: http://www.divesoftware.org/libdc/contr ... l#protocol
libdivecomputer developer
Support the libdivecomputer project with a donation!
http://www.libdivecomputer.org/donate.html
Siaokao
Dive Computer: Zoop

Post by Siaokao »

I face similar problem with my Helo2. In the past, I simply try again and it works. But it seems the latest Macdive version (2.0.2) is different. I'm using the Suunto download cable.
nick
Site Admin

Post by nick »

The latest version is 2.0.5 and there is a newer beta available on these forums - check my away post.
gregm
Dive Computer: D9

Post by gregm »

adrianwi wrote:Yes, all the drivers are correctly installed (for OSX 10.6) or it wouldn't be working through the VM
Not that it probably matters to this thread (sounds like the appropriate Mac drivers are installed), but just in case anyone encounters a situation where things work in the VM and not directly on the Mac I thought that I'd mention that the VM does not use the Mac divers. Rather, the native Windows drivers are used (Parallels or VMWare Fusion connect to the raw USB interface and provide the appropriate layer for the Windows driver to interact with). This is why you can connect USB devices with no Mac support to a Windows VM and have them work.

So having it work through the VM certainly proves that the cable, device and USB port on the Mac all work properly, but it says nothing about the Mac device driver working (or even being installed).

Cheers,

Greg
adrianwi

Post by adrianwi »

Greg - thanks for the info. I will download the latest customidea drivers and try again, but the fact it doesn't work in OSX, then does straight away in VM, and then does straight away in OSX after switching USB port back makes me think the drivers are working, but not being recognised correctly?

I'm running latest version of Macdive and really like it (much better than Suunto Dive Manager and sync to Dive Log is brilliant, so I can now carry all my divelogs on iPhone or iPad) but get frustrated having to download dives in such a roundabout way.
nick
Site Admin

Post by nick »

Try importing twice as suggested - sometimes the device fails to wake up correctly. We're looking into it.
adrianwi

Post by adrianwi »

I always try it several times, as it takes much longer through the VM route, but thanks for looking into it.