Bug Report: Summary of dive gear cost

Problems ? Get help here!
otherguy
Dive Computer: Suunto D4i Novo

Bug Report: Summary of dive gear cost

Post by otherguy »

In the divers section, the application shows the total number of pieces of dive gear owned, along with the summarized cost. Each piece of gear can have a price attached to it, along with a currency. My dive gear was purchased in different countries, and therefore in different currencies.

The summary uses the currency of the first piece of gear, but simply sums up the numbers in the value field of all pieces of gear, without considering the different currencies.

It seems like there is already a currency system built into the app, at least it recognizes only correct currency symbols (in my case EUR, USD, THB and IDR). Not sure where it takes the "main" currency from, probably from system settings.
nick
Site Admin
Dive Computer: Shearwater Teric

Re: Bug Report: Summary of dive gear cost

Post by nick »

It's not really a bug, just a limitation - I can't justify the cost of paying a subscription for historic currency rates to provide an accurate total. I appreciate this would be a nice feature, it would just cost me too much.

What I tend to do is convert it to my local currency manually and then include a note on the original price.
otherguy
Dive Computer: Suunto D4i Novo

Re: Bug Report: Summary of dive gear cost

Post by otherguy »

nick wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 5:30 am It's not really a bug, just a limitation
I beg to differ. It shows that my dive gear cost tens of thousands of Euros. While I would certainly be happy to have such equipment, I don't.
nick wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 5:30 am What I tend to do is convert it to my local currency manually and then include a note on the original price.
This is a good and obvious workaround but it makes the currency entry field completely useless. In that case it would be a better UX to show a label with the user's system currency and let them enter the already converted amount.

nick wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 5:30 am I can't justify the cost of paying a subscription for historic currency rates to provide an accurate total. I appreciate this would be a nice feature, it would just cost me too much.
I completely understand and agree!

But there are multiple ways this feature can be implemented:
  • Don't show a summarized total at all (that's certainly the easiest one)
  • Convert the currency using a service
    • Use the current exchange rate (at time of viewing) to convert
    • Use the exchange rate at the time of entry (requires database change)
  • Offer 2 fields, real price and converted to user local currency and let the user convert
  • Show the total price summed by currency, like this: 250 EUR, 14.000 THB, 380 USD