Non-contiguous Temperature Data

Problems ? Get help here!
ATJ
Dive Computer: Garmin Descent Mk1

Non-contiguous Temperature Data

Post by ATJ »

I have huge number of dives that I did before my current two dive computers (Shearwater Perdix and Garmin Descent Mk1) and I'd like to get the data into MacDive. I have all the data in a database I created myself and have written code to extra each dive in MacDive XML format.

The dive data were recorded using either a Citizen Hyper Aqualand or a Citizen Cyber Aqualand NX. Both these devices record depth every 5 seconds but temperature ever 5 minutes.

This is how a typical dive profile looks:

I've set the sampleInterval to 5 and included the depth on each sample. For the bulk of the samples I have used:

Code: Select all

<temperature></temperature>
and then the actual temperature every 60th sample.

The blank temperature entries are getting stored as 0.00 and so my profile looks like this:

Is there a way to tell MacDive that the temperature values are NULL rather than zero, and have the temperature values displayed as discrete points?
nick
Site Admin
Dive Computer: Shearwater Teric

Re: Non-contiguous Temperature Data

Post by nick »

No.
Shadallark
Dive Computer: Mares Wrist Puck

Post by Shadallark »

Hi ATJ;

Where you have the information stored in a database can you write a query to check if a temperature exists, if so use it and store it in a variable, if it does not exist use the value from the variable? That way it would look like your temperature remained flat for five minutes at a time before shifting to the next temperature value.

Have a great day and safe diving!

Shadallark
The MacDs
New Brunswick, Canada

Family of Mares Puck and Aqualung i300c users
ATJ
Dive Computer: Garmin Descent Mk1

Post by ATJ »

Thanks. I have already considered that and it would be quite easy, although the first temperature reading would go for 10 minutes (5 minutes before and 5 minutes after). The scientist in me doesn't like it though as it's sort of making up data. While many of my dives the water temperature is fairly constant, on some it fluctuates significantly. For example:

I have a few other options:
  • Not put any temperature sample data in the XML file
  • Put it in as it is but just know the temperature profile will look weird
  • Give up putting the old dives (>1400 of them) into MacDive