Disable autofill or make autofill less aggressive

Problems ? Get help here!
azchris11
Dive Computer: Teric

Disable autofill or make autofill less aggressive

Post by azchris11 »

So the autofill for macdive is....aggressive to say the least. Is there a way to disable autofill, or just show the drop down and not have it force insert text into the line I'm trying to type?

Weather and current are the biggest offenders of this, it's all over but that's the most annoying fields.

It's hard to explain but basically, the autofill is forcibly inserting itself on any hit after I press space, comma, period (any non-character hit). I end up having to just accept the incorrect autofill and then going back and deleting stuff.

It's particularly problematic on those fields since they tend to be some of my longest entries and the default for weather is "Warm, overcast with occasional strong showers, mild to strong surface winds, fog at end of dive" and that inserts itself forcibly anytime I want to type warm and hit space, comma, period (or any words in that string)... have to try and time the double delete entry is really annoying, can this just be turned off or make it so only pressing enter uses the autofill result.
nick
Site Admin
Dive Computer: Shearwater Teric

Re: Disable autofill or make autofill less aggressive

Post by nick »

Yes, the auto fill is a little naff. :(
ray2day
Dive Computer: Suunto Zoop

Post by ray2day »

Read your answer on this Nick. But is there a way to correct / delete autofill records?

In the past I made a mistake bij typing 'kangt' instead of 'kant' (that means 'shore' in Dutch),
but now every time when entering ka... it autofills to 'kangt', but it has to be 'kant'. It's very anoying.

More than 500 dives logged in MacDive now!
nick
Site Admin

Post by nick »

Sure, delete the incorrect data from your dive(s). The autofill is dynamically populated based on existing entries for that field, so it means one of them is still using the incorrect value.

If it's a common field you can filter to find them. Assuming you mean "Entry Type" it's not, you could either make a smart log to find them, or add it as a table column to quickly scan and find it. Either way, fix the inappropriate ones, and it will no longer appear in autofill.
ray2day

Post by ray2day »

That's what I thought also, but when I search for 'kangt' there is no record that matches the word 'kangt'.
ray2day

Post by ray2day »

Thankx for your reply Nick!

Found it by going through all my dives. I have deleted it. :)
Still strange it wasn't found by the search function.
nick
Site Admin

Post by nick »

The search function only considers a few common fields. If it searched for everything, it would be very slow.
NicMic
Dive Computer: Suunto Cobra

Post by NicMic »

I have been troubled by the aggressive autofill behaviour of MacDive for quite some time, because I tend to write a lot of different descriptions in the dive conditions fields. I have now become so frustrated that I have started looking for solutions and came across this post in the MacDive forum. Yet, I do not see any solution to the problem - only a confirmation that (some) users have an issue with it. Can I please switch off the Autofill function? A pull-down menu would be a nice service, but the aggressive insertion behaviour is truly annoying. It is not intuitive at all, and I'd rather switch it off. Thanks! Nico
nick
Site Admin

Post by nick »

I have added a preference to just turn it off entirely. It's not ideal, but I don't have a better autocomplete solution at the moment so perhaps it's useful in the meantime. Drop me an email and I can send you a beta.