Suunto Stinger problem with importing dives to Macdive

Problems ? Get help here!
marcogiornetti
Dive Computer: SUUNTO Stinger

Suunto Stinger problem with importing dives to Macdive

Post by marcogiornetti »

Hi everyone,
i am an owner of a suunto stinger and I have a Mac Book Pro running on OS X Yosemite. After having upgraded to Mac dive 2.3.8 I started to have some issues when coonecting my Suunto Stinger to my Mac. Basically what I get is an error message saying that it is not possible to read the header and I have an error type -7.

I contacted Nick which was extremely helpful and suggested me many possible solutions. I tried many things (replace battery; revert to previuous versions; reinstall everything from scratches). Unfortunately none of 'em worked.

Anyone had the same problem? I am using an official Suunto Cable (if helpful I can post a picture). I will try to connect to official Suunto DM5 and see whether it works.

Thanks for helping, Thanks to Nick for all support...
Barney K
Dive Computer: Suunto Stinger

Re: Suunto Stinger problem with importing dives to Macdive

Post by Barney K »

I'm having the same problem and tried all that you listed. I finally gave up! Hope someone will post a solution.
nick
Site Admin
Dive Computer: Shearwater Teric

Post by nick »

Hi Barney,

I've spoken to Marco about this over the last few days. I've asked him to try a couple of things that I'm still waiting for responses on (in particular, using the official suunto software).

More often than not when things "used to work", it's due to either battery or a dodgy cable or connection. The battery depends when you last changed it. If it says "low battery" it will definitely cause problems. If it doesn't, it may still be low. For instance, an old Suunto I had did not report low battery, but had these errors while trying to download. I gave up also, figuring I'd sort it out after a dive trip. First dive, it finally said low battery and wouldn't go in to dive mode. So the battery meter is not necessarily 100% correct.

Cables, you can generally rule out issues by using the official suunto software. It's a good way to check. You can try cleaning the contacts, visually checking they are not bent or damaged in any way, etc.

You'll find quite often that people say "I updated MacDive and now it doesn't work". People often assume that an update broke something. While this is true in certain situations, the reality tends to more be that they haven't actually downloaded in quite some time, there's a bunch of new versions, none of which have anything to do with the problem, and it's just a coincidence. I find that's pretty common. A lot of people dive once or twice a year, and so there's always an update when they go to download. This makes things pretty confusing for other users who run in to problems, but it's obviously an easy conclusion to draw from a user perspective.

In the case of the Stinger, nothing has changed in quite some time. In fact I had a user emailing me a couple of days ago on an unrelated issue who was downloading from his Stinger just fine, latest MacDive, latest OS X etc.

So I would suggest checking everything in the help, making sure the battery is not low, and checking your cable thoroughly. It's easier said than done, but if you have access to another cable (local dive shop, friend, etc) then that can also be very useful.

Cheers.
nick
Site Admin

Post by nick »

And failing all of that, please email me (I'm not sure if we've spoken before). There is a further test we can run. It's unlikely to provide anything of use, but never say never.
marcogiornetti

Post by marcogiornetti »

Hi all just a quick update. I tried to reinstall everything but still no luck. However tomorrow I will meet, at my local diving shop, some people from Suunto and we will perform all possible test on cables, connectors, dive computer. I'll keep you posted. Hopefully we will sort things out!
let's keep fingers crossed!
m
marcogiornetti

Post by marcogiornetti »

Hi everyone a quick update on the stinger issue. Good news and bad news.

Good news:
I performed a connection test with Suunto staff and it was ok. We managed to perfectly import all dives from my stinger to a Suunto Divemanager 5, Suunto Divemanager 4 and Suunto Divemanager 3.1. We performed this backtesting just to be sure that both stinger and hardware (cables, docking station and so on) were perfectly functioning.

So this rules out several options: i) hardware problem; ii) low battery; iii) bad connections (pins and others).

Bad news:
I still have the problem on mac dive. so what i can do for now - in order to keep using macdive - is: i) downloading my dives to a windows-running computer; ii) export them in cvs format; iii) Import them on my mac. A bit of hassle though.

However I noticed one thing that could be the key to solve the problem: my mac "sees" the serial port where the stinger is connected but considers it as a modem (don't ask me why). So what I am going to do is try to sort this thing out. any hint on how to do that? Can ask everyone to tell me what is their mc settings?

thanks
nick
Site Admin

Post by nick »

Please follow the instructions for reporting download issues:

http://www.mac-dive.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=407

Use the "vyper" test, and email the resulting data to support.

Thanks,
MacDive Support
marcogiornetti

Post by marcogiornetti »

Hi Nick I did what you instructed me to do;

I downloaded the vyper test (I have a suunto stinger);
saved it on my desktop

these are the miserable results I Got

Last login: Tue Sep 8 19:05:51 on ttys000
MacBook-Pro:~ iMarco$ cd Desktop
MacBook-Pro:Desktop iMarco$ chmod u+x vyper
MacBook-Pro:Desktop iMarco$

It is like if it does not see the test itself.

I tried then to double click on the test (dunno if it makes any sense) and these are the results I got

Last login: Tue Sep 8 19:07:40 on ttys000
/Users/iMarco/Desktop/vyper ; exit;
MacBook-Pro:~ iMarco$ /Users/iMarco/Desktop/vyper ; exit;
DATETIME 2015-09-08T17:14:49Z (1441732489)
VERSION 0.5.0-devel (61e9847196b4e7f4e2c80e47dd6cd7070c9c4418)
DEVICE=/dev/ttyS0
suunto_vyper_device_open
INFO: Open: name=/dev/ttyS0
ERROR: No such file or directory (2) [in ../../source/src/serial_posix.c:159 (serial_open)]
ERROR: Failed to open the serial port. [in ../../source/src/suunto_vyper.c:113 (suunto_vyper_device_open)]
../../source/examples/suunto_vyper_test.c:43: Error opening serial port.
suunto_vyper_device_open
INFO: Open: name=/dev/ttyS0
ERROR: No such file or directory (2) [in ../../source/src/serial_posix.c:159 (serial_open)]
ERROR: Failed to open the serial port. [in ../../source/src/suunto_vyper.c:113 (suunto_vyper_device_open)]
../../source/examples/suunto_vyper_test.c:84: Error opening serial port.

SUMMARY
-------
test_dump_sdm: Input/output error
test_dump_memory: Input/output error
logout

[Process completed]

If it can be of any help please find attached also a screenshot of the results of my USB serial controller status.

Product ID: 0x2303
Vendor ID: 0x067b (Prolific Technology, Inc.)
Version: 3.00
Speed: Up to 12 Mb/sec
Manufacturer: Prolific Technology Inc.
Location ID: 0x04100000 / 2
Current Available (mA): 500
Current Required (mA): 100

I managed to connect the whole thing with Suunto DM5 on a Windows-based pc.

Other thing: I also have some difficulties when I try to import csv files on Macdive. I simply drag and drop and no success. I converted cvs file into xml and imported it but it imported one empty dive + deleted one previously saved.
I am getting mad...
thanks for help
nick
Site Admin

Post by nick »

marcogiornetti wrote: Last login: Tue Sep 8 19:05:51 on ttys000
It is correct up to this point. Then you appear to stop following the instructions. Nothing is wrong, this is all perfect - but you need to follow *all* of the instructions, rather than stopping half way through.
I tried then to double click on the test (dunno if it makes any sense) and these are the results I got
You can't double-click it, otherwise the instructions would specify that you should double-click it.
If it can be of any help please find attached also a screenshot of the results of my USB serial controller status.
Only to point out that it is a Prolific chipset, so you should make sure you are running the latest Prolific driver:

http://www.prolific.com.tw/US/ShowProdu ... 29&pcid=41

The issue may simply be that you do not have the latest version, and it is not compatible with your version of OSX.
Other thing: I also have some difficulties when I try to import csv files on Macdive. I simply drag and drop and no success. I converted cvs file into xml and imported it but it imported one empty dive + deleted one previously saved.
I am getting mad...
thanks for help
What CSV files? MacDive does not support CSV files. Only the Oceanic specific ones, which aren't really CSV. If you have converted them to XML, then the likely case is that this has not been done correctly. You would need to send the XML file through to support, maybe some advice could be offered.

However importing XML will not delete any dives. This is not correct, there is no possible way that can occur.

We apologise that you are getting frustrated. We are doing our best to help you resolve the issue, and sincerely apologise for failing to do so thus far.

We hope to get you up and running, and are very sorry you are mad.

Sincerely,
MacDive Support
marcogiornetti

Post by marcogiornetti »

Hi Nick
sorry that i posted the wrong screenshot. My fault. I downloaded the latest prolific driver and rebooted. And I followed again your instructions.
This is the screenshot of what I got.

Last login: Tue Sep 8 23:20:30 on console
MacBook-Pro:Desktop iMarco$ ls /dev/tty.*
/dev/tty.Bluetooth-Incoming-Port /dev/tty.usbserial
/dev/tty.Bluetooth-Modem

Does it make any sense to you now?

As for the missing dive after have imported an xml file well I don't really know what to say. I am sorry to say but I have actually lost one dive. As you may see in the attached screenshot my dive count now begins with 2 (rather than 1).

I know you guys are doing your best to help. And I am sure we will fix it all up.
Sincerely,
Attachments
Screen Shot 2015-09-08 at 23.34.08.png