Delete data entryes not longer used?

Problems ? Get help here!
claus@hornstrup.com
Dive Computer: OSTC

Delete data entryes not longer used?

Post by claus@hornstrup.com »

Hi.
first of all... thanks for all the god work, made with tis brilliant dive computer :-)

my problem:
is there any easy way, to pull out data and clean up the lists and put them in again?

when i started, i used danish when i spelt all names in country collum... now i have changed most of them to english, and would love to easily change the last dives, to right spots, and delete all the country / site entry'es not longer used ?

BW
Claus
nick
Site Admin
Dive Computer: Shearwater Teric

Re: Delete data entryes not longer used?

Post by nick »

Hi there,

If you're talking about sites specifically, yes of course! Go to "Sites" in the left sidebar.

From there you may want to swap to the list view, rather than thumbnail, to make it a bit easier. Delete anything you don't want, fix anything else up, etc. You can select multiple sites to delete or edit all at once.

Similarly if you select multiple dives you can change the site (or anything else) all at once via the Dive Inspector.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2015-05-31 at 08.57.36.png
dalenvigil
Dive Computer: Shearwater

Post by dalenvigil »

I think he's just using sites as an example. I think it would be beneficial to be able to see everything that's a possible list and choose that way. For instance, a drop down arrow next to buddies so you can just click to add them. Same for all of the fields. Once satisfied, deletion of unused entries could easily be automated.

As an example, let's say under the current you might have Calm, Mild, Heavy, Swift, etc. Well, the program also has calm, mild, heavy, swift, etc. as separate values, and whether or not you capitalize the first letter views it as a separate entry. Seems to me that this equals database bloat. Why not be able to add whatever text you want, AND have a drop down with entries you've already used so that you can keep consistency throughout. Number only-fields don't need it, but I think any field that might possibly use a verbose descriptor could benefit, if only by consistency keeping unnecessary entries to a minimum. This will eliminate duplicate entries for things like misspellings or capitalizations, etc.

Ideally anything that could take a word, as opposed to a number, should be able to receive any text input, but also have a drop down showing what's already been entered that doesn't require you starting to type. (see calm vs. Calm issue)

Then, once satisfied that everything is consistent across the board, the "optimize database" can remove all of those unused entries. All the user has to do is make sure that he's using the wordage that he wants in the fields, then optimizing will get rid of the other stuff. Then the user doesn't have to go and individually delete things like the OP's Danish site names, and the database has less unused entries to keep track of.
nick
Site Admin
Dive Computer: Shearwater Teric

Post by nick »

Thanks for your feedback. I'll look in to making some improvements in this area.
claus@hornstrup.com
Dive Computer: OSTC

Post by claus@hornstrup.com »

Hi gyes.

Thanx :-) it help me a lot, so i got Cleaned my unknown country, and miss spelled sites :-)

Yes it would be nice whith some drop down based on the country, boddy etc. and would also be nice to set like a standard type op diving / boddy, so you dont have to set them every time.

i mostly dive my CCR and Mostly with the same boddy, mostly same country... so if you somehow could setup a standard dive.. would be "nice to have" :-)

thanks a lot for this grat software..