Petrel 2 dive time

Problems ? Get help here!
Nick Barter
Dive Computer: Perdix, Petrel 2

Petrel 2 dive time

Post by Nick Barter »

Hi

I've noticed an issue with dive time when downloading from the Petrel 2. The Petrel log seems to add a number of minutes after the diver returns to the surface. These minutes at zero depth get added to the dive time.

I noticed this when duplicate dives appeared in MacDive. I had already downloaded some dives directly to my iPhone Dive Log app and synced them to MacDive. When I downloaded another couple of dives straight to MacDive via bluetooth the previous dives appeared as duplicates, I think because they have a different dive time (length of dive, not start of dive which is identical). Both instances of the duplicate dives from Dive Log and MacDive have identical raw data for the dive.
nick
Site Admin
Dive Computer: Shearwater Teric

Re: Petrel 2 dive time

Post by nick »

MacDive uses certain bits of information to determine whether a dive has been seen before. The Dive Time is not one of them, though. Unfortunately this won't likely match things from Dive Log that have been downloaded directly, as some of that information is lost and unavailable. So yes, you'll likely get duplicates in that case.

The simple fix: Delete the duplicates, and sync+replace from MacDive, which will send one tidied up copy of your data back to Dive Log. An annoyance, but at least nothing is lost!

I am actually working on some updated syncing logic right now which has a few improvements that will help resolve this issue. Bear with me for the mean time as it's getting very close to being finished.

cheers,
-nick
Nick Barter

Post by Nick Barter »

Thanks Nick

Any thoughts on the excess dive time calculation where the Petrel seems to add two to three minutes of log data after surfacing?
nick
Site Admin

Post by nick »

The Petrel includes one minute of zero samples at the end of each dive. In the next update, enabling "Prefer Bottom Time" in Preferences -> Advanced will trim these if they are causing you issue.

Thanks
Nick Barter

Post by Nick Barter »

Mine's actually adding three minutes. Maybe one of the other settings determines how long it is. Anyway, I'll look out for the next MacDive update.

Thanks
Nick
nick
Site Admin

Post by nick »

Can you send me your MacDive data file? I wouldn't mind taking a look.

I'm not aware of a setting, but it's certainly possible. I can try and make it work for both, but seeing the exact data would help.
dalenvigil
Dive Computer: Shearwater

Post by dalenvigil »

The Shearwater computers have a setting that determines the length of time spent on the surface that the computer uses to indicate the end of a dive. You can change the interval to suit your needs. An example would be an OWSI doing several ascents with students on a dive. By changing the "end of dive" interval, these would be strung together as one dive as opposed to several different dives.
nick
Site Admin

Post by nick »

Ah, they do indeed. I found this in the advanced settings. You learn something new every day :)

According to the docs this is also available per dive, so that makes life a lot easier. I'll update this to use the specified end dive delay. Thanks for the heads up!
nick
Site Admin

Post by nick »

This is done. A beta is available if you'd like to try it - email support if so and I'll send it through.
dalenvigil
Dive Computer: Shearwater

Post by dalenvigil »

nick wrote:This is done. A beta is available if you'd like to try it - email support if so and I'll send it through.
Will this apply retroactively to dives already in the program? I've got a couple I forgot to reset the interval so they show incorrect dive times.