Suunto D4i NOVO connecting problem

Problems ? Get help here!
hermandevries
Dive Computer: Suunto D4i NOVO

Suunto D4i NOVO connecting problem

Post by hermandevries »

Until now I've been using a Mares Puck Pro with your MacDive software. However, my Mares Puck Pro has been having problems for the past year (eventually turned out there was a minor tear in the battery door) and I bought a new Suunto D4i NOVO Black dive computer during my honeymoon last week. I've done a couple of dives with it since then and tried to connect it to MacDive, but haven't gotten it to work yet.

Some information you might need:
  • MacBook Pro OSX v10.9.4
    MacDive v2.3.3
    D4i v1.2.10 with "IND v1.6"
    I connected my Mares Puck Pro through this updated version of MacDive, and downloaded the most recent dives without a problem. The software seems to work just fine.
    I downloaded the Suunto DM4 software and was able to connect my D4i NOVO with it and download the dives; the cable and dive computer seem to work just fine as well.
    Using the devices page on the MacDive website, I went to this (http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/VCP.htm) and downloaded and installed this (http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/VCP/Mac ... 2_2_18.dmg) driver.
    In the Preferences > Advanced menu, the 'Serial Port Override' still says "/dev/tty.SLAB_USBtoUART" from using the Mares Puck Pro. I read some posts on the MacDive forum stating this had to be removed, so I tried removing it and clicking on the "Refresh" button on the right side of "No serial ports found", but still found no ports. Using a blank bar here didn't work either. I tried refreshing with only the cable without the dive computer attached as well, but it made no difference.
    The error I get is "Import Error could not detect a valid serial port" both as a popup as well as in the grey bar down below in the software screen.
I have the feeling I'm either not using the right driver or need to change a setting somewhere, since both the software and the dive computer itself seem to work by themselves. Or is the D4i NOVO (new version of the D4i that came out january 2014) not supported yet? The guide that came with it was the guide of the previous/regular D4i, the Suunto DM4 software doesn't differentiate the different D4i versions and according to the reviews not much has changed in this update, so I hoped that wouldn't be a problem.

Can you help me out? Thanks!
nick
Site Admin
Dive Computer: Shearwater Teric

Re: Suunto D4i NOVO connecting problem

Post by nick »

You need to install the appropriate USB driver, for the official cable that is this one:

http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/VCP/Mac ... 2_2_18.dmg

If it doesn't show a port, try rebooting or reinstalling. Sometimes you need to reboot after the install. Leave the override blank where possible, so MacDive can guess at the port for you. Generally you don't need it specified.

cheers
hermandevries
Dive Computer: Suunto D4i NOVO

Post by hermandevries »

nick wrote:You need to install the appropriate USB driver, for the official cable that is this one:

http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/VCP/Mac ... 2_2_18.dmg

If it doesn't show a port, try rebooting or reinstalling. Sometimes you need to reboot after the install. Leave the override blank where possible, so MacDive can guess at the port for you. Generally you don't need it specified.

cheers
That was the driver I already installed. What I did was close every program, turn down my computer and wait short while to put it back on, then reinstall the driver again and connect the D4i; then it indeed worked. Thanks for the quick reply!
FAndreM
Dive Computer: Suunto D4i

Post by FAndreM »

Can you help me with acquiring the correct driver for the Suunto D4i using Mac 10.15.2 Catalina? Thank you
nick
Site Admin
Dive Computer: Shearwater Teric

Post by nick »

You no longer need to install a driver for this device.