Vyper Air Download Issue / USB Driver Issue

Problems ? Get help here!
blauvs
Dive Computer: Liquivision X1

Vyper Air Download Issue / USB Driver Issue

Post by blauvs »

Hello,

So I had been syncing happily between my Vyper Air and Mac Dive until just this month. Now Mac Dive cannot find a Serial Port, no matter how many times I attempt to reinstall my USB driver. I've looked in the /dev directory when the device is plugged in, and the files I'm supposed to see there never show up.

The Vyper Air will still happily sync with Suunto DM4, but never with Mac Dive. I've tried reinstalling the driver (for each type of cable too, just to be sure), attempting the download multiple times, jiggling the cable, etc. Nothing works. I get the -5 error or the -6. Or occasionally a "can't detect serial port" error after re-installing the driver.

This all worked flawlessly for a year until I recently upgraded my Mac Dive to the latest version. Now I can't get it working again for the life of me. VERY frustrating.
blauvs

Re: Vyper Air Download Issue / USB Driver Issue

Post by blauvs »

Was also unable to run the connection test for the Vyper air successfully since it appears my driver isn't working right (since the tty files I should see inside /dev are never there even the test won't work)
nick
Site Admin
Dive Computer: Shearwater Teric

Post by nick »

What kind of USB cable are you using? If the driver isn't even showing up in /dev/tty, then it's nothing to do with MacDive.

You should ensure you do not have DM4 open at the same time, as it can cause issues - that is often the cause of problems like this. Make sure it is properly closed, possibly even reboot, and then trying running the test instructions here:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=407
viplo
Dive Computer: Suunto Vyper air

Post by viplo »

Hello,

I had an issue with the same device.
I upgraded Macdive trial to licensed and had the same error with the serial port.

I only close all applications shutdown my Mac without check "reopen all application..."
After reboot my Mac all works fine.

Cheers.
blauvs

Post by blauvs »

Not really sure what cable I have. The connector looks like the Smart Interface, but it's got Suunto printed on it and it has a little boxy portion at the end that the connector comes out of.
nick
Site Admin

Post by nick »

Try running:

sudo kextload /System/Library/Extensions/FTDIUSBSerialDriver.kext/

in a Terminal. This will ask for your password, type it in (you won't see any characters on screen) and press enter.

Then you can try scanning for serial port in MacDive, see if the serial port is there, and try downloading. Let me know if that helps.
blauvs

Post by blauvs »

Boom! That did the trick. All functioning now! Thank you!
nick
Site Admin

Post by nick »

I had this with someone else just the other day. I've no idea why the driver is not automatically starting - may be an OS thing.

This may reset after you reboot. It may even be worth rebooting and then trying, to see if it has reset. If so, there is another command that may help make it autostart, or it may just be a one-off that needs to be applied to remove whatever the issue was.

Either way, glad it helped.