Crashing when moving between dives on iPad

Problems ? Get help here!
cfb
Dive Computer: Aqualung i770r

Crashing when moving between dives on iPad

Post by cfb »

Greetings

Recently I've started having issue where MacDive will crash on my iPad if hit the up/down arrow in the upper right to move between dives. Annoyingly this also sometimes cause the last few minutes of work I've done in MacDive (such as notes, etc) to get lost. What additional info can I provide to help debug this?

Thanks.
nick
Site Admin
Dive Computer: Shearwater Teric

Re: Crashing when moving between dives on iPad

Post by nick »

Well, I wouldn't have expected anything to be lost - basically everything is saved immediately when you finish editing a field.

Either way, crashing is not ideal. What iOS are you running? I was on an old version and had no problems, so I updated to 15.0.2. Still no problems. Tried on the dashboard, from all dives and various tags, and from some other places (eg via Gear > dives using this gear). None of it crashes for me. Does it crash if you use two fingers to swipe between dives, rather than the arrows? Is there a specific place it crashes (eg all dives, or a certain tag). Is it navigating to a certain dive that crashes?

If you have any steps on exactly how to reproduce the crash that would be useful, go to Settings > Send Database and send me your data along with instructions on exactly how to reproduce it. I've spent quite a bit of time now playing and can't make anything happen. I also see no relevant crashes via the App Store. If you don't allow sharing with developers, maybe turn that on so that the crash reports are sent to Apple (and then I can access them).
cfb

Post by cfb »

Thanks for the reply. I need to do some logging tonight from the weekends dives. I will collect all the data you requested as well as detailed instructions on how to reproduce (and try the suggestions for troubleshooting you posted) and post back tonight or tomorrow with the results and details. Thanks again.
cfb

Post by cfb »

OK I did a bunch of testing and can fairly reliably reproduce this issue now. Below is the relevant info about my setup and how to reproduce. I did confirm that send data to developers is enabled.

Note: I will include all the same details when I send the database shortly.

Details of setup:
1) I use MacDive on my iPhone, Desktop, and iPad, all synced via iCloud.
2) Desktop Info - MacBook Pro (16-inch, 2019), MacOS 11.6, MacDive 2.14.2 - No issues
3) iPhone Info - iPhone 12 Pro, iOS 15.0.2, MacDive v1.4.7 - No issues
4) iPad Info - iPad Pro (11-ich), iOS 15.0.2, MacDive v1.4.7 - Has issues

Steps to reproduce the issue (screen shots attached)
1) Go into a dive
2) Go to notes
3) add/update/change notes
4) Hit up or down arrow in upper right
5) At this point the main section of the app goes all white
6) Now hit the log book icon on the left side and the app will crash
7) Launch MacDive
8) Go back to the dive that you were editing in step #1 and notice the previous comments are gone.

If I first select another tab in the same dive (gear, photos, etc) then I can use the arrows without issue. I was able to confirm the same thing happens if I use the swipe as well.

I've attached a few screen shots of this in action. The first shot is showing editing the notes field, the 2nd one is what happens after hitting the arrows, and the 3rd screen shotes shows the notes of the same dive after re-launching MacDive post the crashes (produced as above) showing the edits went missing.
Editing the notes
Editing the notes
- Editing the notes
After clicking the arrows
After clicking the arrows
- After hitting the arrow
Same dive, post crash
Same dive, post crash
- Same dive, post crash