Dive Site Import/Export

Suggestions? Comments? Features you'd like to see?
skooba
Dive Computer: Oceanic OC1

Dive Site Import/Export

Post by skooba »

I was wondering if it would be possible to add the ability to import or export dive sites (individually or in bulk)

This would allow users to share and build their dive site database.

I am currently working on a dive site database for my website which has the ability to import/export to CSV, it would be great if I could somehow make it work with your program.

If you're interested in possibly implementing something like this, I'd be really interested in collaborating.

Cheers,

Will
nick
Site Admin
Dive Computer: Shearwater Teric

Re: Dive Site Import/Export

Post by nick »

One thing I would like to do is have the ability to auto-complete sites from an online source, complete with GPS coordinates and possibly even ratings/comments and potentially images.

I contacted a couple of places about it, but never received replies. If you could email me, I'd definitely be interested in hearing some more detail about what you've got, and what you have planned.
Twan77
Dive Computer: Suunto Vyper Air

Post by Twan77 »

Hi Nick,

have you considered collaborating with the guys from worlddivemap.com about this?
That is the site where i get my gps coordinates from and they also have dive site reviews, info, pictures etcetera.

Greets Twan
nick
Site Admin

Post by nick »

Haven't seen that site - cheers for the link. Will have to drop them a line and see if they're interested in working on something.
skooba
Dive Computer: Oceanic OC1

Post by skooba »

Nick,

My site is a Joomla site which is using a store locator module to store dive sites. I don't currently have functionality for comments etc, and I'm no SQL wiz, but will put it on my list of things to try and incorporate later on..

For what you're after, I'm sure you'd have more luck with someone with more knowledge and resources.. however if there were to be a possibility to have CSV import into macdive, then anyone wishing to grab a copy of my database would be welcome to download it from my site.

on a similar line... i'd like the ability to import dive logs into macdive.. for example if a friend of mine uses macdive and he's dived with me(basically same profile), then i could export all dives with him as the buddy, then he could modify quickly in CSV edit/Excel etc to change the diver name, and then import into his macdive to save from having to manually enter the dives himself.

Loving the app though. Great work!
haaltruf
Dive Computer: Suunto ZOOP

Post by haaltruf »

Hi Nick,

I wanted to "re-activate" this subject. As a new user of MacDive (I love it btw) I have to say that I find somewhat laborious to re-input all the characteristics of the dive sites, especially knowing that other have done it already :mrgreen: . So I like your idea of auto completing the country, place and GPS coordinates based on an online source.

So far I have been using www.wannadive.net for searching my existing dive sites...

Any chance for MacDive to interact with one of those websites ?
If they are not keen on sharing their data, why not create a database from the MacDive community ?

Let us know your thoughts...

Cheers!
nick
Site Admin

Post by nick »

I've tried contacting wannadive who never replied. I was in touch with someone else who was building a site and quite keen, but had then started talking about requiring users to register. This doesn't fit with what I'm after ("just working"), so yeah, I'm contemplating just building something custom. The only real downside to that is it would take a while to build up the initial data, compared to using an existing service.

I will get back to this, but I'm busy trying to sort out multiple tanks for people at the moment so it will have to wait a little while.