Import Error

Problems ? Get help here!
g.cacchione
Dive Computer: Suunto Gekko

Import Error

Post by g.cacchione »

Hi Nick,

Only recently I have been getting a message error when downloading dives from my Suunto Gekko: Failed to read header information (Error Code: -5).

Any idea how to fix this? Strange thing is that I never had any issues downloading dives until the last update to 2.1.0 and I know it's definitely not a cable issue since I get the same message when trying to download from a Suunto D4 (different cable)

Many thanks

Gio
nick
Site Admin
Dive Computer: Shearwater Teric

Re: Import Error

Post by nick »

Is the battery low?
g.cacchione

Post by g.cacchione »

Nope. The D4 is brand new and the Gekko battery has recently been replaced.

Gio
nick
Site Admin

Post by nick »

There's no real difference in downloading either of those devices between 2.0.6 and 2.1.0. I have a D9 which works the same way as the D4, and downloads work as usual.

Sometimes it won't connect first time and I need to try importing a couple of times, though.

Are you sure the Gekko is in transfer mode?
g.cacchione

Post by g.cacchione »

Hi Nick,

Yes I'm sure I'm in transfer mode on my Gekko. Lately things are getting worse and worse. The (very rare) times it does work, after several attempts, I can import only if I choose 'Any dives that have not been imported'. If I choose only new dives I either get the rather annoying Import Error pop-up or a message that there isn't new dives to import.

I'm getting to a point I'm considering going back to my old paper logbook :-(

Gio
nick
Site Admin

Post by nick »

"Only New Dives" stops as soon as it finds a dive that already exists.

"Any dives that have not been imported" looks back through the entire device, which takes longer and is of course more prone to failure. What kind of cable do you use?
g.cacchione

Post by g.cacchione »

The issue here is that I get an error message when trying to import 'only new dives' although macdive didn't import anything. The few times it does work I have to import all dives and then delete what I don't need. Very frustrating!

I'm using the cable bought from smartinterface.de.

I've never had any issues til the last update and I don't understand what is causing them. It's definitely not my Gekko or the cable cause I tried importing dives from other 2 computers (Suunto D4) and using other cables (always from smartinterface.de) and everytime I have the same problems.

I also created another account on my mac but that doesn't solve anything. I also reinstalled the drivers for the USB cable...I fixed disk permissions and...I got to a point I was so frustrated that I wiped clean my hd and reinstalled OS Lion but nothing! No idea what to do to fix the problem.

Gio
g.cacchione

Post by g.cacchione »

Any suggestions besides wiggling the cable and trying to import several times?

Gio
nick
Site Admin

Post by nick »

g.cacchione wrote:The issue here is that I get an error message when trying to import 'only new dives' although macdive didn't import anything.
Which means the latest dive has already been downloaded. Have you tried the "any dives that have not been downloaded" option, rather than "all dives" ? That's what it is there for.

There is really no difference in downloading for the gekko/d4 between 2.0.6 and 2.1.0. You can always try 2.0.6 and see if you can download reliably there (you will need to copy and move your data, though, as it won't be compatible).
g.cacchione

Post by g.cacchione »

When selecting 'only new dives' and getting the error message 'no new dives found' macdive did NOT import any dives although I may have at times 10-12 dives that needed to be imported.

Yes I have used the option you mention but it's rather annoying having to go through all you logbook every time I do an import just delete dives u not interested in keeping (ex.: confined sessions)

I understand you say there isn't any differences between the 2 versions of macdive but it's a matter of fact that I can hardly download anymore...and the very rare times I do I have to 'clean up' from old unwanted dives. :-(