Facebook export feature

Suggestions? Comments? Features you'd like to see?
iTami
Dive Computer: Suunto Vyper Air

Facebook export feature

Post by iTami »

It would be great if you could add a new feature to next release, so that divers can share their dive info from MacDive app directly to their Facebook walls. Status update or similar info could include basic information about the dive (location, time, depth, duration etc.) and maby even a dive profile information or a picture would be great :-)
GKirkaldie
Dive Computer: Suunto D9, Reefnet

Re: Facebook export feature

Post by GKirkaldie »

I like this idea.

I was going to suggest a little while ago, but thought it would be best to get the new version out first. Most of my recent diving has been with people I've met through the KW Scuba Divers group on Facebook.
nick
Site Admin
Dive Computer: Shearwater Teric

Post by nick »

Sure, I can look at doing this.
kevincasey
Dive Computer: Atomic Cobalt

Post by kevincasey »

I'd vote for something like this, but I'm not sure how I'd like to control control what gets posted when. It couldn't happen automatically, because I'm so type-a about filling in all the details. Sometimes I start an entry on my iOS device, then sync with Dive Log, then sync with my Cobalt, then fill in all the details; other times I skip the iOS portion. (And I don't even take any photos while diving!)

I guess the common denominator is that I wouldn't want anything posted until I've got all the details filled in. This is pretty low priority, though.
Kevin Casey
Regulator Technician
Aqua Diving Academy
Portland, Maine, USA
l00d

Post by l00d »

I just recently got certified and have been looking around for something that will meet my meticulous desire to log things I do. I've actually been surprised that there's seemingly very little out there for logging on a computer, and even less that takes advantage of posting online to share with friends/access remotely.

Mac Dive is definitely looking like the best and most polished program at the moment, but the ability to share dives would be a huge seller for me.

Personally, I'd prefer a method of posting the dive to a blog (WordPress, namely). I'm not sure how well FaceBook would lend itself to this, past something incredibly basic. WordPress you could export as a new post, including a png of the dive profile, have it include divers or sightings as tags, let you write something up about the dive, etc.. Seems like the perfect venue for this sort of thing, and then there are plugins to publish notifications about posts to Facebook/Twitter/etc.

I'm looking forward to seeing something implemented for sharing dives with others, as well as having a dive to justify the purchase!
Cyberchill
Dive Computer: Aeris T3

Post by Cyberchill »

Bump! I like this idea. Would be good to choose what you post to FB, or your blog, but starting out with the Dive Statistics and Dive Profile would be really nice!
lbmigritor
Dive Computer: OSTC 2n

Post by lbmigritor »

i came across this new online logbook: http://www.diveboard.com/
it has facebook integration

it would make more sense to me if macdive could sync with an online logbook like diveboard.com. from there you could share with facebook if you wanted.
syncing with an online logbook will also mean you have a backup of your dives online.
jaz9090

Post by jaz9090 »

I know this is an old thread, but did anything ever come of this? I'm looking for a way to export to wordpress or similar.
nick
Site Admin
Dive Computer: Shearwater Teric

Post by nick »

Integrated Facebook wouldn't really help with wordpress. What exactly are you looking to upload? Profile images, overall details, or something else?

Maybe some of the existing options like CSV export could give you the bulk of the information you need. The PDFs you can export have the profile etc, maybe that's of use too.
jaz9090

Post by jaz9090 »

Sorry, yes I was referring to the post by l00d where he mentioned it. No it Facebook wouldn't help with wordpress. I was thinking of setting up a wordpress site to share dive logs, so I guess the more info the better. Most of it would be easy to pull out from the exports I'm sure (although I've not got round to looking at it) it's more the dive profiles which would be a bit of a pain to replicate from the data, although there are libraries for building graphs etc which I guess could do the job, unless some sort of image export was possible.

A wordpress export is probably outside the remit of the tool vendor to be fair! Really needs someone (like me) to build a wordpress theme with an importer for the rest, then there is all the fun of merging changes etc, although an image export for dive profiles, air graphs... would be useful, quite a lot of work for little gain I guess.