Referencing images within an Apeture library

Suggestions? Comments? Features you'd like to see?
timothyk
Dive Computer: Suunto D9

Referencing images within an Apeture library

Post by timothyk »

I would like to be able to reference images from within an Apple Aperture library. At this time the add images feature does not seem to be able to discern any thing beyond the library file. Is there a workaround or another way to support this?
nick
Site Admin
Dive Computer: Shearwater Teric

Re: Referencing images within an Apeture library

Post by nick »

You can right click -> show package contents on your aperture library to drill in to it and add drag photos on to MacDive, but no, it doesn't understand Aperture itself.
seahermit
Dive Computer: Suunto Stinger

Post by seahermit »

I use Aperture with my copy - I just tend to drag the files directly from Aperture, and that works fine. I you later delete the photo within Aperture, it goes blank in Mac-Dive (I've got Mac-Dive to reference photos)

Works fairly easy for me - if the info screen for a dive is open and on the photos page, it's just a drag and drop.

Ben
seahermit
Dive Computer: Suunto Stinger

Post by seahermit »

Actually, I've just gone to have a play with this to do it the other way - from Mac-Dive... And when I go to "Add Images" in the left hand column I've got a Media section, with Music, Photos and Movies, and Aperture is in the Photos bit (alongside iPhoto) and I can drill down into the whole library from there.

Does this not work?
cander
Dive Computer: VT3

Post by cander »

Unfortunately you can't directly navigate into the Aperture Library from File -> Auto Add Images in MacDive. There is a workaround, however.

If you open a Terminal window and type the following commands, you'll create a symbolic link in to the Masters folder in Aperture that can be used through MacDive:

Code: Select all

cd
  cd Pictures
  ln -s "Aperture Library.aplibrary/Masters" "Aperture-Masters"
Once this is done, back in MacDive you can simply select File -> Auto Add Images,
then navigate though Pictures -> Aperture-Masters -> 2011 -> 09 -> 12
for instance to get to the folder containing all the images taken on 12 September 2011.

Click "Open" and all will work, if you shot your Masters as JPEGs anyway...

-Craig