Uwatec SmartTRAK to MacDive migration

Problems ? Get help here!
kevincasey
Dive Computer: Atomic Cobalt

Uwatec SmartTRAK to MacDive migration

Post by kevincasey »

I've fallen in love with MacDive, and as a result am trying to migrate all of my data from Uwatec's SmartTRAK on my work computer over to MacDive on my home computer (and subsequently to Dive Log for my iPhone and iPad).

I've been digging for two days now and can't figure out a way to get all of my dive info into MacDive. So far I've been able to figure out that MacDive will import Suunto SDM files and generic UDCF files. My problem is two-fold in that:
  • SmartTRAK doesn't export to either of those formats
  • I can't find anything that will work as a multi-step conversion process
I don't mind taking a round-about way if it means getting everything from SmartTRAK into MacDive; it's a one-time procedure.

I have the original SLG file generated and used directly by SmartTRAK on my PC to download and store all of my augmented dive data. Using SmartTRAK I am able to export the data to TravelTRAK CE Excel and DAN DL7 Levels 1 and 3. See this post for info about this process.

I've also been able to dump the SLG file into an app on my iPhone called Dive Log Book. This software is able to parse nearly everything out of the SLG file:
  • location and dive site
  • date, start time, duration, end time and deco time
  • max depth
  • min and max water temps
  • visibility
  • weather
  • air temp
  • suit
  • weight
  • tank type
  • starting and ending tank pressures
  • as well as graph the full dive profile
The interesting thing about this Dive Log Book software is that, once you've imported your SLG file, it will let you export your information in both HTML and XML files. I've tried dragging the XML file directly into MacDive, but it doesn't work. (I just get a blank dive.)

I'd appreciate any thoughts or suggestions that anybody has. Is there a piece of software (or two?) that I'm missing that will be able to translate from one of these formats to something that MacDive can read?

I've got the SLG, XLS, XML and HTML files at home and handy if I need to upload/e-mail them to anybody.

Thanks in advance!
Kevin Casey
Regulator Technician
Aqua Diving Academy
Portland, Maine, USA
nick
Site Admin
Dive Computer: Shearwater Teric

Re: Uwatec SmartTRAK to MacDive migration

Post by nick »

Can you email me the XML file that it generates?

I can take a look at writing a tool to convert this to SDM format for you to import, or possibly including an importer in MacDive at some point. But, to get you up and running, generating an SDM file might be the easiest way.

Drop me a line and the file to support@mac-dive.com and I'll have a look at it.

Actually:

I have a tool that should be able to read the Smart Trak database on Windows. Can you send me the original Smart Trak DB? I can try running this tool on parallels, and then I have a dodgy perl script that can convert the output to an SDM file. It may be a quick process to convert this for you.
azjohnnyo
Dive Computer: Shearwater Perdix AI

Post by azjohnnyo »

Hi Nick,
Have you been able to do this yet? I have a file I can send if you need. I am trying to convert my GF to a MacBook Air and run MacDive and she currently uses a Galileo Sol. Thanks!
nick wrote: Actually:

I have a tool that should be able to read the Smart Trak database on Windows. Can you send me the original Smart Trak DB? I can try running this tool on parallels, and then I have a dodgy perl script that can convert the output to an SDM file. It may be a quick process to convert this for you.
AZJohnnyO
"What if the Hokey Pokey "is" what it's all about?"
nick
Site Admin

Post by nick »

It works, but it involves a bunch of manual work for both me and for you.

Actually Jef has one of the required things I need, and he is on holiday. Once he's back I'll try and remember to get it off him (basically something to dump out the Uwatec database on windows). From there I can convert that to a SDM file.
Riger
Dive Computer: Galileo

Post by Riger »

This is a solution that I too am seeking.

If when you have this sorted, could you please post the whole process for me. I will actually buy MacDive if I can get my data off my Uwatec and into MacDive.

I have written to Uwatec and told them that I will not buy another computer from them because of their attitude towards Macintosh users.

Thanks in advance

Richard
nick
Site Admin

Post by nick »

Email me your smart trak database and I will take a look.
sepinto
Dive Computer: Suunto D6

Post by sepinto »

Hi,

I also have this need. Migrate my Uwatec record into mac dive. Can you do some about it? Convert it into some format understood by macdive?

Thanks for your help.

Regards
SP
hens
Dive Computer: liquivision xen

Post by hens »

Hello,

Couldn't find here how to do it so I just tried a few (wel actually more then a few) ways and it worked for me using the next steps

On a windows machine with smartrek export the log to Jtrack CE
Install Jtrack on your Mac and import the file
Next install Dive Log manager and import from Jtrack
All above programs are for free
Then sync your mobile device with dive log manager using Dive Log (for dive log you have to pay)
at last synch DiveLog with MacDive and you are ready

regards
Hens